Propane and Heating Oil Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am very bitter when it comes to paying for propane..back in 1997 my wife went into labor with our daughter and before we sped off to the hospital I checked the tank and saw I was getting low so I called our local strangle hold supplier who only required a 2 day notice and asked to have the tank filled...fast forward 4 days...we arrive home with our newborn and after I get the family settled in I go out to the tank to retrieve the bill as the driver would leave it under the fill hood.I raise the hood to find no bill and the needle flat lined! Frantic because of the sub-zero wind chills I called them up and asked why my tank had not been filled? I explained to them I had just brought our newborn home and I wanted the damn tank filled! They assured me I was a dumb arse and that I had plenty left for the overnight and that the driver would be there in the am...you guessed it it ran out at 2:30 in the morning...another call and they send someone out with 100 gallons..and then they send me a bill this time with a $150 emergency fill fee! I blew up on the poor woman and refused to pay it and told them their tank would be setting by the road way.I followed through and had a Woodmaster boiler in by the end of week while we got by with fireplace.Never again will I be at their mercy..

Reactions: Jake86
I am very bitter when it comes to paying for propane..back in 1997 my wife went into labor with our daughter and before we sped off to the hospital I checked the tank and saw I was getting low so I called our local strangle hold supplier who only required a 2 day notice and asked to have the tank filled...fast forward 4 days...we arrive home with our newborn and after I get the family settled in I go out to the tank to retrieve the bill as the driver would leave it under the fill hood.I raise the hood to find no bill and the needle flat lined! Frantic because of the sub-zero wind chills I called them up and asked why my tank had not been filled? I explained to them I had just brought our newborn home and I wanted the damn tank filled! They assured me I was a dumb arse and that I had plenty left for the overnight and that the driver would be there in the am...you guessed it it ran out at 2:30 in the morning...another call and they send someone out with 100 gallons..and then they send me a bill this time with a $150 emergency fill fee! I blew up on the poor woman and refused to pay it and told them their tank would be setting by the road way.I followed through and had a Woodmaster boiler in by the end of week while we got by with fireplace.Never again will I be at their mercy..

That sounds like a typical propane company, I hate those SOB's. Like I said earlier, we just had natural gas run down our road, and right at the last minute some of my neighbors who were on a keep full program got topped off one last time. You can't convince me that was a coincidence. I always stayed on a strict "will call" basis just for that reason.

That sounds like a typical propane company, I hate those SOB's. Like I said earlier, we just had natural gas run down our road, and right at the last minute some of my neighbors who were on a keep full program got topped off one last time. You can't convince me that was a coincidence. I always stayed on a strict "will call" basis just for that reason.
I would put Natural gas in here in a heart beat as back up...but it will never happen as we are way to rural...in the meanwhile I will keep the stove burning...;)

Last edited:
I locked in auto delivery of fuel oil @ $2.29 for the season. Far cry from the >$4.00 prices we had a couple years ago. At least with oil companies you have a little competition. Propane around here is pretty much Suburban AFAIK.

I would put Natural gas in here in a heart beat as back up...but it will never happen as we are way to rural...in the meanwhile I will keep the stove burning...;)

Well, even though I have NG, the stove is still burning hard. I cut it, I split and stacked it, and I'm darn sure going to burn it. Not like NG is free. :)

Reactions: Tar12
I locked in auto delivery of fuel oil @ $2.29 for the season. Far cry from the >$4.00 prices we had a couple years ago. At least with oil companies you have a little competition. Propane around here is pretty much Suburban AFAIK.

HHO here in Albany area can be had for $2.35 today.

bob

Well, even though I have NG, the stove is still burning hard. I cut it, I split and stacked it, and I'm darn sure going to burn it. Not like NG is free. :)
I hear you!

When prices were crazy a couple of years ago the propane people told us, "propane is the same as gasoline prices". Well, gas prices came way down, but not the propane prices. I understand they got to make money, but they squeeze the heck out of ya. $2.32 a gallon is what I pay now. Love it when they stop by to top me off and they can only force $20. bucks worth in. Love my pellet stove !

Reactions: Sodbuster
When prices were crazy a couple of years ago the propane people told us, "propane is the same as gasoline prices". Well, gas prices came way down, but not the propane prices. I understand they got to make money, but they squeeze the heck out of ya. $2.32 a gallon is what I pay now. Love it when they stop by to top me off and they can only force $20. bucks worth in. Love my pellet stove !

It's a nice feeling isn't it, to watch the driver back all the way down the driveway, uncoil the hose, only to be able to squirt a little bit in. I realize it's not the drivers, they're just doing their job. What I have noticed in this thread is how much propane prices vary from different parts of the country, there's just no reason for it, Pertzbro paying .99/ gallon is equivalent to NG prices. If I could be guaranteed $.99/ gallon it wouldn't have paid for he to hook up to NG. NG prices are more stable however, and are regulated by the state.