1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Propane tank refill adapter usage question

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by wahoowad, Apr 24, 2011.

1. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Do any of you use a propane tank refill adapter like the picture below? I connect this adapter to my 25 lb. BBQ tank and use it refill small 1 lb. propane tanks (like the camping tanks or propane torch). Or at least I am trying to. It works but the 1 lb. tank only feels about 1/2 full as compared to how one feels when purchased new. The adapter I use says to leave them connected for 1 minute and you can hear the small tank being filled for about the first 45 seconds. The sound dies off so it seems to be done filling a little before the 1 minute mark. I haven't tried filling it longer but wondered if there is a secret to doing this to make it fill more?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

Are you putting the small empty cylinder in the freezer overnight before filling? You'll fit more in if you aren't vaporizing what you put in and pressurizing the cylinder prematurely.

Are you holding your 20lb cylinder upside down during the transfer? You'll fit more in if you transfer all liquid instead of gas.
  3. esuitt

esuitt New Member

Loc:
    Delta, Pa (amish country) right on the Mason Dixon
    Agree with Karl.
    We used to freeze nitrous bottles about half hour or so before refilling them and make sure your mother (feed) bottle is upside down.