Propane Tank With No Bottom Connections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twofer

Jun 4, 2008
SLP Michigan
The good news is that I've secured a 500 gallon propane tank for very reasonable price and have been assured that there are no leaks. The bad news is that the supplier has informed me that there is no belly plug or connections on the bottom of the tank. My question for the Hearth Brain Trust is how to get the bottom connections installed. Is it easier to place a dip tube in one of the existing top connections or am I going to get a welding shop to cut a hole in the bottom and weld in male NPT threads?

Check your top fittings -- almost certain one is a diptube fitting already, because the LP company needs a way to fully empty the tank. Mine has a diptube fitting in the top, as well as a bottom drain fitting.

Personally thinking, if you decide to have a fitting welded in I would go with a Thread-O-Let or a pressure rated coupling,not the cheap thread protectors on the length of a pipe. Both of these are female threaded and offer more protection than a T.O.E. nipple, are much stronger and more surface to weld to. (T.O.E.) = thread one end.

And go with an extra heavy, or schedule 80 coupling or thread-o-let. Make it 1 1/2" You can always bush down.

Have you seen the tank yet? Most do have a bottom plug, although sometimes just a 1/2 or 3/4 drain plug tap. It may not be large enough for your use.

Typically you will find 2- 3/4" top ports one for the relief valve, the other for the shut off valve. Then typically a 1-1/4" for the fill port where the delivery truck hooks on. Also a funky 4 bolt connection where the level gauge attaches. Sometimes you can build a fitting for that, but all of these are close together.

Another option is to buy a urinal adapter. it is a brass fitting that 3/4 or 1" copper tube slips through. Solder it onto the pipe and build a dip tube. It is a little tricky to tighten, easily squeezed out of round.

Consider the 1-1/4 port for a dip tube and pair together the 3/4" if you need to flow that much GPM.

Here is a picture of what I call a urinal adapter.

hr

Attachments

• MVC-037F.JPG
    MVC-037F.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 249
Status
Not open for further replies.