Q&A Protecting wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I was pleasantly surprised at the "usefulness" of your web site for a new wood burning stove owner like me. In perusing the Q A section, I came across an inquiry and reply that was very similar to my concern, but I would like clarification. I have a free-standing wood burner in a corner installation. The installer says he complied with installation instructions,18" from wall, BUT - when the stove gets to 350F or higher, the wall becomes too hot to leave your hand on it. It has a heat shield on the back, and I had a local business construct two side heat shields of sheet metal. However, because the stove is a "side load", the side shield can only "shield" so much, and the wall is STILL too hot to leave your hand on it!? If my only recourse is "wall protection", what do you recommend? I have seen some installations over the years that have a simple looking piece of metal, evidently attached to spacers on the wall. Where can these be purchased? I prefer to find something greater in "functional" value rather than "aesthetic" value. Thanks again for your efforts with such a functional web site!

Answer:

4x8 sheets of sheet metal can be purchased virtually anywhere, but it's difficult to move and cut properly. I would contact either a sheet metal fabrication shop (commonly called tin-knockers), or an HVAC shop to purchase have them cut a sheet that meets your requirements. Then, you can purchase 1" ceramic wall spacers from a hardware store or hearth shop to finish off the installation. Remember to leave the top bottom open for air flow!

Also: Check with a local hearth shop to see if they have something in the size you require-----sometimes they already have something in stock. It's worth a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.