PS35 not lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samdweezel05

Feb 11, 2012
Upstate NY
Stove was installed on 12/22/11. The last month or so it will light the pellets 4 out of 5 times when it starts up. Each time the pellets fail to ignite, the igniter is bright Orange and working properly. Stove is cleaned spotless every sunday morning including all air holes, igniter compartment, burn pot, ash drawer, exhaust baffles, exhaust path to the blower and I have even cleaned the entire stove pipe twice since it has been running. This is just problem number one. Let's see if we can figure this out first.

My quad would do that once in a blue moon, All I needed to do was hit the reset button or cycle the thermostat off/on. And it would fire fine the second time around. I assumed(very bad to assume) it was because on occasion it didn't feed quite enough pellets for it to pull in the thermocouple. I could be wrong?

About the only thing I haven't checked is the level of the pellets in the pot when this happens. It is on medium right now and the feed rate is choked down a bit due to a buildup problem in the exhaust that reduced air flow a few weeks back. Maybe you are on to something here. Should the pellets be able to cover the igniter hole? This could explain other issues as well.

My 6041 has the auto igniter......I find it works best if the igniter hole is just covered by the pellets in the burn pot.

You should set the flame hieght according to the manual. 4"-6" above pot on High.

This puts the feed at the optimal level for all 3 heat levels. On start up, it always starts in High. Once lit, it goes to your selected setting. So if your feed gate is closed to much, you may not be getting a good amount of pellets.
If it happens again, I would note the level or measure the level. They should cover the ignitor slot in the front of the pot. Your PS-35, is basically a Santa Fe or Castile (Quad) with a different style heat exchanger and chassis. The feed rate setting plays a vutal role in its start-up.

Fly ash builds up pretty quick in horizontal runs of the vent. What type of problem were you having with the ash??

Status
Not open for further replies.