Public service message to any parent who ever has to deal with lice...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I'll spare everyone the gory details, but Lil'Badfish's preschool had a lice outbreak and she was one of the unlucky ones. I never had the pleasure as a kid, neither did Mrs. Badfish, so we went into Google overdrive trying to figure out what to do. At first, all points led to the assortment of nasty chemicals one can put on their child's head, Permetherin being one of them. I use the stuff on my hiking and hunting clothes, but I wasn't crazy about slathering my three year old's head with it. Nevertheless, we did, because we figured it was the only option. However, after two days and lots of lots of combing the nits (eggs-Permetherin doesn't kill them-just the live ones), we were still finding an occasional creepy crawler. Fed up, I went back to Google. It turns out that there are now many Permetherin resistant lice out there because it's used so frequently.

Just as we were about to look into a prescription strength medication for her, my MIL, a nurse, got a tip from an ER nurse at her hospital about Listerine. As it turns out, good 'ol Listerine (or the alcohol in it, not sure which) will kill the little buggers on contact. We put some in a spray bottle, put swim goggles on her, and sprayed her head down. As I was doing it, I saw a few fall out of the back of her head-dead as a doornail !!!. We put a shower cap on her and left it on for one hour while we watched a movie. I wore one too and we made a game out of it-pretending they were pirate hats ;lol

After an hour we took the hat off and (there were more dead creepy crawlers stuck to it) rinsed in the tub. Then, we used another tip from the ER nurse. Since the Listerine will only kill the live ones and not the eggs, its still imperative to get as many out as you can find. As it turns out, vinegar loosens the "glue" that holds them onto the hair shaft. We did a vinegar rinse and then combed some more. Two days later she is completely lice and nit free, but we're going to do at least two more Listerine/vinegar treatments over the next two weeks just to be completely sure.

I'm sharing because finding out that your child has lice can be a horrible, isolating feeling since there is a such a stigma attached to it, despite the fact that it can literally affect anyone, especially children in a school setting. I feel as though the "lice mitigation industry" preys on this a bit with all sorts of medicines, cremes, rinses, shampoos, etc...that may or may not work, and in some cases contain some pretty nasty stuff. All the while, what's already sitting in your bathroom closet/kitchen cabinet will do the job just fine. Your child's hair will smell like a cross between an operating room and a Italian sub for a while, but it will work!

Reactions: Bobbin
Careful with the vinegar. That is acetic acid and could burn her head.

Reactions: flyingcow
I've read that Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap applied and left on for a while does the job also.

Careful with the vinegar. That is acetic acid and could burn her head.

Oh we were very careful in applying both the Listerine and vinegar and watched her scalp for signs of irritation-it never turned the least bit red nor did she complain of any discomfort. Of course, when someone in the family gets the first tinge of a sore throat or nasal/head congestion, they are given apple cider vinegar (we used white vinegar on her hair) to gargle with and drink, so maybe she's used to it. Still, I'd much rather apply some acetic acid/alcohol than what is basically an industrial strength, synthetic insecticide/repellent.

I've read that Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap applied and left on for a while does the job also.

I'll have to check that out-I wonder if peppermint oil is toxic to them or they just don't like the smell?

Two girls with Long Hair and they both had them. Listerine is indeed the answer, works much better than any over the counter the stuff. Also I went to the dollar store and bought a pair of 5x zoom reading glasses. Makes searching for those eggs much easier.

Reactions: Badfish740
Been there, done that. Even worse, is when other parents don't do such a thorough job, and send their kid back to school, only to reinfect everyone again.
Glad those days are over.

They used to use kerosine. I think I'll try listening should my little one ever get lice.

Now, I wonder if it would work on fleas. Here kitty kitty......

Thanks for sharing Badfish!

In October my son started scratching his head. And scratching it. He is known to have a dry scalp and dry skin (he is blond and has sensitive skin). Well, the scratching kept going. My wife calls me at work and says "I think he has lice. He's watching TV and I am going through the hair..I am finding small "things" that are smaller than sesame seeds attached to individual strands of hair about 1 cm from the scalp". I wanted to melt through the floor. I run over the the pharmacy and get some over the counter stuff (can't remember the name of it). It has 2 treatments: one right away and one 7 days later (incase the initial treatment didn't work..the incubation period is about 7 days for nits).

So that night we rented his favourite movie, sat on the couch and pretended we were all chimpanzees. Combing through EVERYONE's hair. I then took pillow cases, sheets, jackets, hats, scarves, etc etc and did about 7 loads of laundry in HOT water (god bless 60 gallon hot water tanks). The funny thing is that I did not hear of an outbreak, no messages from his school (he is in pre-K), nothing. Other schools had outbreaks and when I went to speak with the pharmacist she said earlier on in the school year things were rampant. BUt we didn't hear a booo. So the next morning I went to school and advised the principle. That night a note came home (sent to all the kids) advising that a student had a confirmed case. FUnny thing is that I noticed 2 kids at his table had their head shaved 3 days before all this went on. It wasn't easy telling the school administration but it was certainly a no brainer: we had to get the message out.

Luckily over the counter stuff worked for us..People were trying to tell me Mayo, etc worked. I was like "Listen, I have a chemistry degree. There isn't anything in mayo that's gonna kill these parasites. And if there is, you shouldn't eat mayo. And I wont ever be able to eat a tomato sandwich again even if I tried!!"

Thanks for the listerine/vinegar treatment tip, I didn't know. I can see the listerine working quite well.

It happens to a lot of people it's just that for whatever reason some people are ashamed to talk about it. And they shouldn't be: it has nothing to do with the cleanliness of your daughter or any child for that matter.

Andrew

Great tip.

I've got two girls with about 5lbs of hair each, and we have been lucky so far.

Another parent whose short hared kids get 'em all the time insists that shampooing frequently makes you susceptible. The kids that don't shower as often are resistant. The 'every night' kids are magnets for the wee beasties.

Been there quite a few times. Or my kids have been, not me. But you need to be diligent and do a check every night, even a few days after you think them bastards are gone. As mentioned before, all bedding,towels clothes, ect gets washed. High heat dry, for longer than normal.

Stuffed Animals, or other toys like that, put in the deep freezer for a many days. Put the stuffed toys in a plastic bag.

Not a bad idea to clean carpets too. Anything that them buggers can live in, wash it twice.

Also, if your kids like to play sports that require helmets, buy them their own. it can be pricey, but my girls got it as freshman, sharing softball helmets that the school supplied.

High out put light, good reading glasses and a wife that is extremely thorough+ many a nights combing hair = lice that goes away....usually.

Oh yeah, summer camps????? Sure they got rid of last weeks lice outbreak..........

And the parents that keep sending the kids back to school still infested??? Hang 'em( the parents) at High Noon off of the flag pole. Nothing more aggravating than getting your kids lice free, and then a few days later we start over again.

Our schools have decided to give up and treat it like a cold. No need for letters or alerts.

Our schools have decided to give up and treat it like a cold. No need for letters or alerts.
From a medical standpoint I can't agree 100% with the decisions from your schools. A person's immune system will deal with a cold. A parasite needs treatment in order to be ridden of. My son started treatment and attended the next day. However some schools have "No nit policies". I don't agree with that one. I agree with the American Academy of Pediatrics view that children who have started treatment should be allowed to attend school. If you don't deal with it, you're spreading the parasites to other hosts regularly until you're treated and I don't want to have to treat my kid's hair 17 times because little Johny never treated his.

NOt to mention kids don't understand that head lice has nothing to do with cleanliness. They will taunt, bully and mock others non-stop. School is hard enough without all that nonsense.

Or we could BIC every child's head until they graduate ;)

Andrew

I wonder what the percentage of permethrin is in these shampoo treatments? I got a jug of permethrin for other purposes (ticks and such) and it works amazing.

They used to use kerosine. I think I'll try listening should my little one ever get lice.

Now, I wonder if it would work on fleas. Here kitty kitty......

My father, born in the late 1930's, said the same thing!

Oh yuk! anyone who's had to deal with lice knows what a valiant foe they can be. They suck! But you have to give the little devils their due... they're survivors. They're supremely adapted to take full advantage of an opportunity and the key to eradication is not necessarily the "scorched scalp" policy, it's interrupting the natural life cycle. Sure, we can nuke the hell out of them with all manner of toxic chemicals, or we can use more "natural" controls while paying strict attention to the very important time tables of their natural life cycle. The latter requires attention to detail and not inconsequential "inconvenience". I opt for the latter, personally. As with anti-biotics, I fear our reliance on "nuke the entire site from orbit" only breeds increased resistance. If we can effectively use naturally occurring compounds to treat such things... I'm all for it! I also wonder at the profit motive involved... which treatment is less expensive in a world that increasingly relies on expensive, patented chemicals?

I have never really understood the whole "stigma" thing, personally. To presume that infection/infestation is the result of "poor hygiene/lax morals" is so... stupid. For Pete's sake, all you have to do is take one misstep and all manner of pestilence/nastiness can befall you. I say, let's teach caution, good basic hygiene, and treat infection/infestation without judgement! Building good health means stigma has to go "bye-bye" and the more unpleasant ramifications of physical congress must be addressed frankly and openly.

I imagine my 1933 Gillette safety razor with a fresh blade that costs only 20 cents each is the most economical and environmentally friendly answer. That said I can't see my wife or daughter using it. Me, I'd probably shave my head for half the year just to avoid the cost of a hair cut.

Reactions: flyingcow
I believe I had read that head lice usually die within 48 hours of not being on a host...perhaps I was wrong?

I've read the same thing on various credible medical websites and it makes sense. These things are very small and they don't "hibernate" the way ticks do. Even our pediatrician told us to bag up all of her stuffed animals and keep them sealed for two weeks. My theory is that old ideas die hard. When someone's kid came home from school with lice and they successfully eradicated it, then developed another case a week or two later, they probably assumed that the lice had survived in the bedding, stuffed toys, clothes, etc...when in reality, they probably caught it from another child whose parents either didn't do a thorough enough job or didn't now he/she was infested in the first place.

I wonder what the percentage of permethrin is in these shampoo treatments? I got a jug of permethrin for other purposes (ticks and such) and it works amazing.

Not sure, but the issue is not that the permetherin isn't concentrated enough, its that lice are becoming resistant because it's been used against them for so long. It's simple natural selection-for example, certain species of mosquitoes have developed a resistance to DDT. Regardless, the Listerine is extremely effective as is the vinegar and both cost a heck of a lot less!

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.