pull air backwards through Zero clearance stove instead of pushing it through

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselhead

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2011
NE
I have a napolean 3000 on the 1st floor. the ductwork and blower is in the basement directly below the stove. it sucks the air from the unfinished basement and pumps it through the stove out the grille on the top to heat the 1st and 2nd floor. Id like to heat the basement so what I was thinking is getting a inline duct fan and hooking it to the ductwork in the basement and pull the air through the stove instead of the traditional way of sending it up through the faceplate. I found a 250° rated 420cfm 8" inline fan I would use. Any negatives to doing this? Fan shuts off when opening the door to reload. Since I dont have a stove in the basement this is my outside the box thinking to get heat down there without turning on the furnace. Any thoughts on this?

generic pic of stove:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTtw-iWF3dqGltZUh59gCBuVfQC-Mrm8sML_AWOReEjfu73tb6Ig.jpg

I had mine going that way in my former home and didn't like it. First off, it pulls mostly the cooler air through the bottom vent. It's hard to make air go contrary to how it wants to by convection. Secondly, the wife would get complacent and not turn off the fan when opening the stove, sucking sawdust, ashes, and possibly hot coals into the duct. I worried that the sawdust might get built up and eventually catch fire.

In my current home I reversed it so that I blow cool air up from below into the stove. This also lets me filter the air so I don't have to worry of dust buildup eventually catching on fire. The makeup air that gets sucked down warms the space below well enough for me. Mind you it is very well insulated.

the bottom on my stove is separate from the top. there is a channel the air follows through the side, up the back of the stove and out the top, front. luckily on my stove there is a switch that kills the fan as the doors are opened. The fan is like 40 shipped to me, figure ill give it a shot and see how well it works (or dosent). Same with mine the makeup air goes down there but its 1600sqft so the draft alone of the makeup air isnt cutting it. It will be interesting to see if it keeps up enough to still send warm air up through the stairwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.