1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

pull out your dog tags

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by stoveguy2esw, Nov 9, 2012.

1. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    several years ago i decided that i would pull out my dog tags and wear them on memorial day and veterans day weekends. have done so every since.i look at it as a tribute to the vets who have served and those who are still serving.

so all you vets out there , join me in this quiet show of respect for those who hhave served with us or before us , and solidarity for those who are actively protecting liberty today

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I still have my draft card in my wallet 45 years later. Does that count?
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I'm ready.

tags.jpg
    stoveguy2esw likes this.
  4. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    never served, so I can't put any tags on.
    But, I will be heading down to the Cemetary on Monday for a Veterans day service along with my 2 oldest boys that are in cub scouts. After that, we'll be heading over to the War Memorial in town to pay our respects, and then a trip over to the VFW.
    A few of the older boys in the scouts will play taps during the service, and it always brings a tear to my eyes.
    Thanks to all wearing those tags from those like me who never did.
    stoveguy2esw likes this.
  5. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio

my Dad is 86 and served in WWII carries his discharge DD214?? in his wallet ever since probably 60+ yrs now his dog tags are in his bedroom, refuses any sort of veterans benefits says let the people that really need them use them I have insurance from my retirement if more people thougth like that generation we would all be better off
    MasterMech likes this.
  6. nate379

nate379 Guest

I have a set somewhere I think, it's not something we use much (Air Force) Been in for a bit over 11 years.
  7. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Got the little laminated DD214 they sold me the day I got out in my wallet with the draft card.
  8. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Way too many military vets who did not serve long enough to reach retirement eligibility depend heavily on the VA. I have military retirement benefits that I can't complain about one bit...medical and dental at very reasonable out-of-pocket cost. I've never set foot inside a VA facility...they have a whole lot of more important things to do than to take care of me...and not enough resources to get it all done.
  9. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    i have the dd214 but its full sized, didnt get a mini. dog tags though are hangin on my chest right now
  10. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    My DD214 is 8½" x 11"...safely tucked away with my most valuable/important documents (Will, POA, Deed, birth cert., etc.).
  11. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Haven't seen my dog tags since I shipped out for Germany in 72. I left em on a bunk in the Transfer Station at Fort Dix. Still have the small copy of my DD-214 & the original that I signed on12 Nov 73. Just got back from standing a Flag Line with the Patriot Guard Riders at an Elementary School in Mechanicville, NY, where many US military Veterans were in attendance. Each stood, ID'd himself, his branch & years of service, & the student who he was there for...
  12. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I originally carried the little DD214 in case somebody tried to make me go back in. I was going to hold it out in front of me like a cross to a vampire. ;lol
    Pallet Pete and DAKSY like this.
  13. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    ;lol That's why I have a miniature Shellback card certifying that I did, in fact, cross the Equator and get duly initiated into the realm of King Neptune & Davy Jones...so nobody can ever make me go back through that disgusting procedure. ;sick
    Jags and Elderthewelder like this.
  14. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    +1
  15. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    been there done that as well, was better the second and third time across though as I could have a little fun even though they put a bunch of restrictions on what could and could not be done the the slimy wogs, I could image what it is like these days, probably cant do anything that is not PC

as for my dog tags, well I misplaced those years ago
  16. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I was dumb enough to give one of my dog tags to a past love (so I thought). She returned everything but the dog tag...(back in the 70's). The other dog tag is at the cottage along with the shellback certificate and the draft card-which, by the way, has a rather huge difference in the amount of weight! It reads 138! Enjoy the day tomorrow (Sun) fellow vets!!
  17. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Never was issued dog tags, but I am wearing my Air Defense Command t-shirt. Per the wife, a copy of my DD-214 is in my pocket. Thank you to all military, former and current!
  18. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Rick - if you were still on the boat at that time, I believe that you are a golden shellback (crossed at 0/0)

Dog tag on key ring in pocket.
  19. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I just went down and looked. The tags are still in the box. Right beside the triangle earring I wore in my boot laces for two years for luck. When I got home I met the guy she married while I was gone. Great guy that probably saved me a lot of grief. ;lol
    DAKSY likes this.