1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pulled the trigger on a HPWH

Post in 'The Green Room' started by 343amc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. charly

charly Guest

Says on page 12 in the owners manual under flushing the tank,, every month.. We are talking quarts not draining the entire tank..

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Hmm... if I had that plan I think I'd find a way to hook up a permanent hose/pipe to that drain so it could be done in minutes. My old electric tank had a drain that I would hook a hose up to and run it out the back door (walkout basement), but I only did it every couple years. Takes longer to find the hose, get it hooked up, then pull it out (without making a mess on the floor) etc than let a few quarts of water out.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Like I said, that would be a deal breaker for me. Maybe that is to get out of warranty claims? I checked the Sears manual for their next hwhp model above the Geospring and there was no mention of monthly draining for maintenance.

Do they have a decent valve on the bottom of the Geospring? Most HW heater valves are cheap plastic crap that drip after you use them once or twice.
  4. charly

charly Guest

Valve petcock on my Geo has a straight blade slot to open and shut the drain.. Easy to use.. My Geo sits on some termite blocks in my 1740 laid up foundation wall basement. Plenty of room to attach a garden hose to exit the water to my gray water clean out trap.. I always attach a brass cap on all of my waste valves.. Doesn't matter if they drip.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Our HW is in a crawlspace utility pit. It's lower than all the drains including the septic cleanout. That means a long hose to outdoors until it gets below tank level. Draining is not a simple chore.
  6. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I think I would want my water heater to be easy to drain whether it was a HPWH or not, required regular periodic draining or not.