Pulled the trigger on a PE Summit insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCredneck

Aug 29, 2011
RDU area NC
Ok got tired of looking at inserts, and finally pulled the trigger on the PE Summit. I plan on installing it myself since it should be fairly straight forward. I have gas logs to remove and fire caulk the hole where the gas line comes up, probably have to remove the damper and block it off etc. Chimney flue will accept 6 inch liner no problem.... gotta decide whether or not to insulate it. Wish me luck, I will take some pics cuz I know yal like em.

Good deal. Keep us posted on your progress.

NCredneck said:
Ok got tired of looking at inserts, and finally pulled the trigger on the PE Summit. I plan on installing it myself since it should be fairly straight forward. I have gas logs to remove and fire caulk the hole where the gas line comes up, probably have to remove the damper and block it off etc. Chimney flue will accept 6 inch liner no problem.... gotta decide whether or not to insulate it. Wish me luck, I will take some pics cuz I know yal like em.

Congrats NC! Look forward to the install progress pics :)

Ray

Allrighty :) I doubt you'll be disappointed !

Does it have a fan? Use that gas line hole and hard wire it.

NCredneck said:
pulled the trigger on the PE Summit.

Nice choice of inserts.
That was one one serious contender when shopping for an insert. I'm sure you'll love it.

Do yourself a favor, and check the date made on the plate on the back. If it were me, I would insist it was made within the last couple years. Anything from the 2006-2007 era, deny. They seem to be the ones having the weld cracking problems. Other than that, enjoy, you're going to have more heat then you know what to do with.

Congrats on the purchase, you will have no trouble staying warm with that beast. I would definitely follow Hogz advice and just double check the mfg date for piece of mind. Post lots and lots of pictures, we all like em.... :)

Hogwildz said:
Do yourself a favor, and check the date made on the plate on the back. If it were me, I would insist it was made within the last couple years. Anything from the 2006-2007 era, deny. They seem to be the ones having the weld cracking problems. Other than that, enjoy, you're going to have more heat then you know what to do with.

Yeah I kept reading the cracked weld posts and almost crossed the PE summit off the list until everyone seemed to agree it was a 06/07 problem, so I asked the guy to send me the serial number to verify. He said he would so we will see.

Yal are making me nervous now about the size of my stove purchase but I am heating 2500 sq feet all with minimum 9 foot ceilings. The main living room is 18 foot cathedral (about 450 sq. foot) and some rooms are 10 foot ceilings. I kept reading go large on the stove if you can, so I did. Guess I will have to just burn 2 pieces of wood per box fill. LOL

It gets in the teens here worse case and the heating season is only 4 months so hoping I don't go thru to much wood each winter but 2000.00 in lp is a pain in the arsssee so gotta try my hand at burning.

karl said:
A summit in RDU. I hope you're a nudist or have a huge house. lol

wondering if I tell my wife I am turning into a nudist if she will follow suite....may have to pack the box full of wood now that I think of it.

mhrischuk said:
Does it have a fan? Use that gas line hole and hard wire it.

I think it would be a problem with installing the insert cuz the pipe comes up inside the fireplace bottom and the insert would be to close or right on top of whatever I bring thru the hole but will check that to be certain.

NCredneck said:
Hogwildz said:

Yeah I kept reading the cracked weld posts and almost crossed the PE summit off the list until everyone seemed to agree it was a 06/07 problem, so I asked the guy to send me the serial number to verify. He said he would so we will see.

Yal are making me nervous now about the size of my stove purchase but I am heating 2500 sq feet all with minimum 9 foot ceilings. The main living room is 18 foot cathedral (about 450 sq. foot) and some rooms are 10 foot ceilings. I kept reading go large on the stove if you can, so I did. Guess I will have to just burn 2 pieces of wood per box fill. LOL

It gets in the teens here worse case and the heating season is only 4 months so hoping I don't go thru to much wood each winter but 2000.00 in lp is a pain in the arsssee so gotta try my hand at burning.

You'll be fine. Burn smaller 3-4 split loads in the milder weather and big splits, full loads when it gets cold.

Removing clothes or opening a window is always an option if you overshoot your goal.

You're not going to roast, but in your climate, with a house that size, and that stove; if you use any propane at all, then I'm voting to kick you off the forum.

I burn 3 and 4 split fires and it does not roast us out of the house at all in fact I had one last night and it was only 50 degrees outside. While you are getting used to the stove and learning it's nuances you might have a few nudist moments though...... ;-P

Ok, the stove guy sent me the number on the unit. Its 13489. Does that mean anything to anyone? I plan on calling PE tomorrow if noone knows how that relates to a date. He did tell me it was a customer return because the sides were scratched and the factory resided it and its never been burned in. Got it pretty cheap so I think there will be no warranty unless PE waranties the box because its a product of theirs. But I can live with that based on the price I got. Biggest thing is I want to make sure its not an 05 06 model which he says it definately shouldn't be but I am still gonna check.

NCredneck said:
Ok, the stove guy sent me the number on the unit. Its 13489. Does that mean anything to anyone? I plan on calling PE tomorrow if noone knows how that relates to a date. He did tell me it was a customer return because the sides were scratched and the factory resided it and its never been burned in. Got it pretty cheap so I think there will be no warranty unless PE waranties the box because its a product of theirs. But I can live with that based on the price I got. Biggest thing is I want to make sure its not an 05 06 model which he says it definately shouldn't be but I am still gonna check.

That would be the serial number.. Write PE with that serial number and they will tell you when it was made.. I did that with my stove and they replied quickly..

Ray

PS- that number sounds low to me.. Mine has 6 digits I believe and it was made in 2007..

The Pacific came with an inspection tag on it that was dated.

I'll look for it.

Ok, I feel better now. The summit was made in 2010 according to PE. Ordered the ss flex liner, insulation and mesh wire ....getting ready to install once it arrives.
I went to Lowes, they did not carry the furnace mortar for the gas pipe hole in the fireplace floor I will have once I remove the lp feed. I will call around tomorrow and see if another supply house carries it. I did buy a metal cutting wheel for the grinder for the damper mod. so the liner install will be smooth.

I'd fill that hole with whatever cement or mortar I had around. This is not something to angst about. It is not a high-temp location. This is an insert going into that fireplace. Not a nuclear furnace.

NCredneck said:
Ok, I feel better now. The summit was made in 2010 according to PE. Ordered the ss flex liner, insulation and mesh wire ....getting ready to install once it arrives.
I went to Lowes, they did not carry the furnace mortar for the gas pipe hole in the fireplace floor I will have once I remove the lp feed. I will call around tomorrow and see if another supply house carries it. I did buy a metal cutting wheel for the grinder for the damper mod. so the liner install will be smooth.

Order yourself 2 or 3 extra baffle gaskets now so you have them on hand. Each year you will need a new one.

UPDATE: Delivery date is OCT 20th. I ordered the insulation kit as well. I removed the gas logs tonight, for now I just shut off the gas valve to the black pipe feeding the logs and capped it in the fireplace. The pipe is exactly 18 inches from the pipe to front of the brick face which is the exact depth of the summit insert. I will wait until the summit arrives to see if the pipe has to be removed from the fireplace altogether or if it can stay. If it is not in the way I plan on leaving it there in case I ever go back to gas logs. My guess is I should cap the line in the basement in case someone turned the gas valve on and there was also a cap leak in the fireplace. Your thoughts? Can this be left to code, I would venture no but maybe someone here knows for sure? Looking forward to getting this beast in place.

"Order yourself 2 or 3 extra baffle gaskets now so you have them on hand. Each year you will need a new one. "

I might just make one like you did especially if it is a several year fix kinda thang Hogwildz!

NCredneck said:
UPDATE: Delivery date is OCT 20th. I ordered the insulation kit as well. I removed the gas logs tonight, for now I just shut off the gas valve to the black pipe feeding the logs and capped it in the fireplace. The pipe is exactly 18 inches from the pipe to front of the brick face which is the exact depth of the summit insert. I will wait until the summit arrives to see if the pipe has to be removed from the fireplace altogether or if it can stay. If it is not in the way I plan on leaving it there in case I ever go back to gas logs. My guess is I should cap the line in the basement in case someone turned the gas valve on and there was also a cap leak in the fireplace. Your thoughts? Can this be left to code, I would venture no but maybe someone here knows for sure? Looking forward to getting this beast in place.

I'd plug the gas line at the valve in the basement and pull the pipe out. You don't want someone 'accidentally' turning on that valve and having the slightest bit of gas coming from that pipe. I undid mine all the way back to where it was joined and yanked it out of the area beneath the firebox. I would just go ahead and mortar that hole closed. It's just another hole for a critter to get through IMO.

Good luck, glad to hear your stove was new. I would be surprised if PE didn't warrant the stove fully, after all they did install new sides and it's never been fired so what's the hitch in a warranty?

Get your magnaflex ordered, mine was delayed over a week at the factory because they ran out of insulation. It finally arrived today.

steve

glenlloyd said:
NCredneck said:

I'd plug the gas line at the valve in the basement and pull the pipe out. You don't want someone 'accidentally' turning on that valve and having the slightest bit of gas coming from that pipe. I undid mine all the way back to where it was joined and yanked it out of the area beneath the firebox. I would just go ahead and mortar that hole closed. It's just another hole for a critter to get through IMO.

Good luck, glad to hear your stove was new. I would be surprised if PE didn't warrant the stove fully, after all they did install new sides and it's never been fired so what's the hitch in a warranty?

Get your magnaflex ordered, mine was delayed over a week at the factory because they ran out of insulation. It finally arrived today.

steve

I am going to leave the capped pipe in the fireplace if its not in the way. Its already sealed really well but I am also going to cap the feed below the fireplace just in case. SS liner order already placed along with insulation kit. Ordered a Roxul bat 2' x 4' to go above a chimney block off plate I will make.

Status
Not open for further replies.