Pulling liner up from below

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinnell

Sep 13, 2011
No Colorado
Has anyone ever pulled a liner up to the top of the chimney? Any issues in doing so?

I have a straight shot from the basement to the roof in a 13x13 clay tile lined concrete block structure/stone covered interior chimney.

See pics

It will go up an 8 inch stove pipe into the clay liner the ceiling of the alcove which is concrete

up the chimney

to the roof which you can see i only have about 14 inches so i cant feed it through the top,cant really remove the stone cap. very heavy prefer not to move it or break it up.

thanks

karl

Attachments

• Pulling liner up from below
    P1000347.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 190
    _MG_7735.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 193
    P1000134.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 193
ps replacing the old potbelly stove with i hope an Alderlea T5, the house is very tight and stays warm ( it was very windy one night and dropped to 38F by the am but the house stayed at 62 w/o any heat)

That is the "baddest" (meaning good) chimney I've ever seen. Took a look at your location...yup, makes total sense. Hold on...are those 2 separate chimneys, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

With a straight shot 13x13 chimney I don't see a problem pulling the liner up to the top, should be plenty of wiggle room. I would tie a rope to it and have one person up top pulling while someone down below helps feed it in.

Stax,

Thanks and yes there are two flues one for the fireplace (possible insert down the road ) and one for the stove. I have to get a cap for the fireplace flue.

Wasn't planning in using any insulation. But...............

I keep running into this:

Clearances: 0" clearance to masonry for gas, 1" clearance for pellet and oil stoves, for wood-burning applications, insulation is required for 0" clearance to masonry

so do i need to insulate? there is no wood near the chimney at least 1 cinderblock plus stone facing is the cinderblock at risk for heat damage?

the chimney is about 35 feet from fire level

Status
Not open for further replies.