pulp hooks or tongs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Never used either but heard hear they are very handy. Might have even saved some poison ivy I got on my forearms from carrying rounds last year... anyhow the hooks are cheaper but the tongs look like they would work better. Also, can one tong hold a log by itself? I suppose with pulp hooks youd need one on each end? The tongs might be more limited on max size though, hmmm.

I have two pair of the 8" husqvarna log tongs. I wish I had gotten the 12" and they really work out good but I had to grind the points sharp first. It does make it a lot easier and a one handed operation. Ya grab the round from the middle pick it up and if you get it right you can throw it out into the bucket or trailer. Its easier on the hands as you don't have to get your hand around the log just hold the handle. Dad loves it since he doesn't have to bend over so far to pick it up.

Dad and his tongs

167583_1454583619538_1681757389_849081_5271244_n.jpg

Billy

I'm thinking it might depend on how you handle your wood . . . if you buck the wood up in the woods the tongs might work well to carry the bucked wood to the trailer, bucket, truck, etc. . . . but if you cut your wood in longer lengths and then buck it up at home then the pulp hook might work better.

I use a pulp hook myself . . . even though I buck up most of the wood in the woods . . . only because I already have a pulp hook and grew up using them.

These days I'm more inclined to try things. It's pretty quick and easy to sell things on Ebay if they don't work the way I like.

I'm leaning toward the tongs myself. If the bucked stuff doesn't fit I know who screwwed up!

Good luck!

Mike

I use a Pulp Hook all the time. I like having it handy while I running the splitter, it is easy to swing it, grab a piece of wood and swing it back on to the splitter. It takes a little getting used to it but man it is easier then try to grab wood with just one hand. If you get one I suggest you get one with a replaceble tip. I have never used the tongs, if someone had a set handy maybe O would try them but I am happy with my hook.

Never tried tongs, but I do have an ice tong that I bought at a flea market a few years ago. I'll have to try it. I have a pulp hook and it is great, but my 36" Pickeroon http://peaveymfg.com/pickeroons.html is even better. I want to get a longer one so that I can reach all the way to the front of my flatbed.

Hey thanks all for the comments. I buck everything in the woods and load rounds onto the truck/trailer. Sounds like tongs would work better for me, and I'll try to get the bigger ones. Flatbed, I had a pickeroon/hookeroon in mind as well, so maybe that would be a good combo of tongs and pickeroon that would cover most uses.

Someone told me that hay hooks work very well and they certainly would be cheaper. I've never used anything other than my hands, a cant hook and an axe. Many times while splitting I can just reach out with an axe to grab a couple more rounds to roll them to the splitter before moving on.

I have been thinking of taking my one of my small ones adding some to it so it will grab by the ends of the round. That way it won't matter what the dia of the round is. It seems like half the work of lifting a bigger round is getting a good grip on it.

Billy

This is probably a dumb question but when the tong is labeled 8" or 12" is that the largest diameter round it will hold? Now I am thinking about it thats not very big. I'd say most of the rounds I'd want the extra grip with are larger than that. Most of the wood I cut is in the 14-18" range I'd say. The problem is I usually have to carry the rounds to the edge of the woods where I can get my truck or tractor to, and I'm usually sore/tired and if its over 12" I only carry one at a time. I figure the tongs would let me carry one in each hand easily so I'd be doubling my work rate. Unless I misunderstood the sizing.

I don't carry or lift big rounds. I roll them as close to the truck as I can and then half or quarter them before I lift them up onto the truck. I used to carry ramps for big rounds, now I carry my Fiskars. I use the pulp hook or pickeroon to drag rounds to the truck and pull them off the truck.

I prefer wooden thongs over Pulp fiction. But it's personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.