Pump plumbing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorsuchmill

Mar 14, 2008
Central MD
I’m working on my install (1.25" pipe) and have 90s planned for within six inches of both sides of my supply side pump. Will this be a problem or do I need to have a longer run before the pump inlet?

Thanks.

I realize certain components ideally need a length of pipe run a number of pipe diameters to keep turbulence down. I will go out on a limb and say it probably will depend on the flow rate your trying to push through the pipe. If your on the high side for 1.25" pipe it could be a problem. On the low side of flow rate your probably OK.

Mike

Thanks Steam Man. With that said, would you take the time now to unsweat a couple of fittings and add some length to the run? In order to have enough space for all of the fittings, valves, pump, etc. prior to my primary connection I had to form a U towards the end of the run. My pump (Grundfos variable) is located on the vertical right leg of the U, such that I have ample room to simply extend the legs of the U a foot or so to gain some additional distance.

Without seeing your layout I would say if you can meet the specs for the pipe as required by the pump I would say try and do it. I do have a Grundfos pump in a straight run that is pretty tight with fittings and don't seem to have a problem.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.