Pump Septic tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
joefrompa said:
Seems to me it would be relatively simply to make a septic system with an alarm/measuring system for the solids and with baffles that last essentially forever. I could be wrong.

I think in most tanks the difference between the "solids" and the "liquids" is very slight, especially at the interface between the two. The solids are in fact mostly liquid, and the liquid, at least the part near the bottom of the 'liquid' layer has a lot of solids in it. There isn't a big difference so I think a sensor would be problematic.

The prior owners of my house lived here for eight years and did not have it pumped once.....and they wound up buying me an $18,000 system when I bought the house in 2000. The system was installed by a company that are known as the Kings of Cr@p here in northwest NJ. I asked the company about what a reasonable pumping schedule was because I wanted to prolong the life of the system and avoid paying $18,000 when it came time to sell the house. They said every three years, and this is from a company that only builds systems, they do not do any pumping. He said that while you may not get solids running down into your leach field, over time the water will become laden with poo particles and laundry lint which is a killer for septic systems. Pumping every three years will keep your system healthy. He also said RidEx is a waste of money.

Laundry lint can be a silent killer of septic fields. There are also filters you can put on your tank outlet to catch it - but then you'd have to clean the filter periodically (yearly?).

maple1 said:
Laundry lint can be a silent killer of septic fields. There are also filters you can put on your tank outlet to catch it - but then you'd have to clean the filter periodically (yearly?).

Get one of those screen filters that fit on the end of your washer's discharge hose - it's amazing how much lint they catch. They look kind of like a stocking for a toddler - sold at the hardward stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.