punk wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scoopj

Jan 23, 2019
South Eastern Mass
I recently moved into a new home, and the previous owner left several large rounds on the ground for quite a number of years - when I split them the outer 1-2" is punky and the bark just falls right off; if I hatchet off this punk stuff as much as possible will the wood still burn if given sufficient time off the ground to dry out? Thanks!

p.s. Love this forum - you're all so knowledgeable!

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
In my experience, the solid stuff will burn if given some time to dry. It won't be the world's greatest firewood, but it'll give heat.

Reactions: scoopj
If allowed to dry it will all burn . . . but that said . . . I've done exactly what you said you have been doing -- hacked off the punk and kept the solid "meat" of the wood.