Punky ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
This is a new one on me. A neighbor told me yesterday about a friend of his who cut a lot of dead or dieing ash and now claims it is mostly punky. I know this fellow so can say without a doubt that that wood was freshly cut and not cut last year. He is claiming it is because of the EAB and that the wood is all punky now. Well, first I have to question his ability to know what wood he actually has...

I do know that last year the wood that I cut during the winter and then split in March was very dry but certainly not punky. A lot of the bark simply fell off as I would split a log; maybe 1/4 of the wood was this way. So far we've sold 1/3 of that wood and found no sign of any punk. I'll say it again. Ash is about the best type of wood for keeping a long time and not turning punky.

Question: Has anyone ever known of this happening?

To my knowledge, we have no green ash around here. Lots of dead white ash though. Sad to see those trees go.

I've been cutting ash that died about 3 years ago and haven't found any punky stuff. The outer limbs are getting very dry and brittle. Was just cuttling white ash this morning.

I have cut Green Ash that was starting to get punky but have not cut any dead White Ash.

After deer season this year I cut up an ash that had fallen into the hay field. Nice size but I was suprised when I found the bottom 6ft or so all punky. I burn mostly ash here and have never had one yet that was punky until this one. BTW, I'm a new member but have enjoyed this forum for years. Guess its time to contribute! One more thing, I do live close to Dennis and maybe Ill stop over and show him how to use that splitter!!!!!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.