East - West Load question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
I have a Regency I2500 Insert. It takes 16" logs N/S and 18" E/W. Before I got the Insert, A lot of my wood was cut to 18". I have some Pine and slightly punky Ash this length that I am burning now. Consequently, those pieces have to go in E/W. I am noticing that towards the end of my burns that I have effectively chunks of Charcoal towards the back. I am attributing this to the East West pieces limiting the Air that gets to the back by acting as a wall. I don't necessarily see this as a problem , but should I be doing something different? I am thinking maybe alternating with 16" NS pieces on the bottom with 18" E/W pieces on top of those.

That works, however the top 18" pieces tend to roll/slide towards the front at the merest provocation, or simply during the burn unprovoked. You can combat this by placing your wood strategically. I just pull the black coals forward near the end of the burn and get them hot that way.

On a cold start I find by putting two pieces of kindling or short splits N/S than 2 to 3 splits E/W on top gets air flow front to back. I will continue to put a few splits diagonally than a few smaller ones on top. I place a few smaller cutoffs or chunks on each side. This morning I had 10 pieces in the stove. I have not had problems with logs rolling on glass. Usually charcoal is the result of incomplete combustion. I have had this on fires that were not on the hotter side or if I turned down the air too much. On reloads I rake all coals forward so any black ones will burn on the next load. If I have too many coals I place a long piece of bark on top to burn them down.

I would just position so the wood doesn’t fall forward. My insert is East West and it’s a PITA

I load mine any way that the wood will fit in. I have never seen a difference is loading one way or the other. It all burns.

Reactions: fvhowler
if you leave a trough in the ashes from the air inlet to the back of the stove you should get better airflow to the wood in the back