Purchase guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garyh

Jan 19, 2009
Central MI
I stumbled across this site recently and thought I would ask for advice. We are considering the purchase of a stove for the basement of the house. It is a bi-level home that has finished basement, the stove would be located in the living area of the basement. We are considering the Hearthstone Heritage or the Jotul Oslo. Really like the looks of the Oslo however concerned by the amount of heat that may push out of the room, the room is about 250sq/ft the house is about 1200 s/f. Would the Oslo be too overpowering to enjoy sitting in the same room with it? Or should we consider the Heritage, the appearance is not attractive to the Mrs as the Oslo.

Any inpput would be helpful.

They're both great stoves - our Heritage gets crazy compliments from everyone who visits, for both the heat and the looks. BTU capacity on the Oslo is higher - but in your smaller house and room, either option is a concern. What are your thoughts as to moving all that heated air out of the basement and into the rest of the house?? is it a split-level ranch w/ good top/bottom air exchange?

One final thought - if you want a little more traffic on this thread, you could edit the title to include something like "Heritage vs. Oslo" - you'd get many more comments, i'm willing to bet.

Good luck w/ your purchase plans! Hope you have your hearth planned and firewood all ready to go :)

The Oslo may be slightly oversized, but it should work ok as long as there is a large wide open passage nearby for the heat to get upstairs. Is this the case? If yes, in fall and spring burn shorter hot fires and let them go out. In the dead of winter, you will be able to burn long fires and it will be very welcome warmth.

If there isn't a way for the heat to easily convect upstairs, I'd downsize to the F400 Castine which is also a handsome stove that works well, but with shorter burn times. A soapstone stove is a good alternative to consider. Has your wife seen the actual stove or just online?

Because of your choices, I'd recommend you also look at the Woodstock Fireview.

Not for nothin', but that Fireview IS a nice looking stove - definitely something to consider in that company. I had no knowledge of their existence (read: did not do my homework) when I bought the Hearthstone. But in all fairness, the dealer was a friend of ours, the shop was close enough to throw a rock at from our front door, and this is what they sold.

Hearthstones and Woodstocks both appear to be running a 10% discount sale right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.