Purchased a New Harman Accentra52i-TC Pellet Insert and I hate it (rattles)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

87fethers

Apr 17, 2022
New Hampshire
My wife and I decided to spend a lot of money on a Harman Accentra52i-TC Pellet Insert after oil prices this year. The insert looks really nice, and the inlaw apartment has an XXV so decided to take the plunge and spend the $6,000+ to get it installed. Unfortunately, it's extremly noisy when the exhaust fan spins up when the stove goes to the exhaust cycle. At 3000 RPM, it's quiet, but once it gets down to 2700 RPM some of the parts inside the stove start to resonate. Here is a video to demonstrate.

The dealer already came out once and replaced the exhaust fan and motor under warranty, but that doesn't seem to help much. Is this just the nature of how inserts work? My wife is ready to return this thing. I did the usual googling and I found some other posts about it but no one seems to have a resolution.

That noise from the best of the best of the best (according to some on this forum)
If after spending that kind of money and the dealer can not fix it would be gone
No, And's If or But's. Just my nickles worth

no exp with inserts but have had free standing harman 9 yrs..
only 2 motors would make that steady noise.. exhaust and bigger distribution motor.
not sure about inserts but many harmans have a round black rubber noise damper that sits on top of the heat distibution motor to eliminate viabration noise.... someone should check to see if in fact it comes with one and if it's there.
I had a steady rattle type noise for a year before realizing it was the problem..it was touching a black panel in the back where it was mounted.

Reactions: Washed-Up
My wife and I decided to spend a lot of money on a Harman Accentra52i-TC Pellet Insert after oil prices this year. The insert looks really nice, and the inlaw apartment has an XXV so decided to take the plunge and spend the $6,000+ to get it installed. Unfortunately, it's extremly noisy when the exhaust fan spins up when the stove goes to the exhaust cycle. At 3000 RPM, it's quiet, but once it gets down to 2700 RPM some of the parts inside the stove start to resonate. Here is a video to demonstrate.

The dealer already came out once and replaced the exhaust fan and motor under warranty, but that doesn't seem to help much. Is this just the nature of how inserts work? My wife is ready to return this thing. I did the usual googling and I found some other posts about it but no one seems to have a resolution.

My Accentra Insert rattles, especially at lower feed rates, but it’s from the side panels that open up. I just stick a wood pellet between the side panels and the frame on the bottom. This stops the rattling.

Not sure that is coming from a blower- you sure that is not auger related resonance? Does it change pitch as the blower spins up/down?
WOW. Noises like that are frustrating, hopefully you get it isolated.

Not sure that is coming from a blower- you sure that is not auger related resonance? Does it change pitch as the blower spins up/down?
WOW. Noises like that are frustrating, hopefully you get it isolated.
I think the noise is too long to be the auger which is an on/off noise of short bursts..

Reactions: Washed-Up
My Accentra Insert rattles, especially at lower feed rates, but it’s from the side panels that open up. I just stick a wood pellet between the side panels and the frame on the bottom. This stops the rattling.
This is helpful. it's defiantly rattling from the right side door (the one close to the exhaust fan) and it also rattles at times from the right heat shield. It's also at lower RPMs like yours. Is this just the way it is with this particular model?

This is helpful. it's defiantly rattling from the right side door (the one close to the exhaust fan) and it also rattles at times from the right heat shield. It's also at lower RPMs like yours. Is this just the way it is with this particular model?
Have heat shields on my P61A. At times they rattle. I take the pointed burnpot scraper tool and stick it in the top of the shield vents and pry out a bit. That silences it.

Maybe so. Also to clarify, it’s the right side door that is rattling the most.

Most rattles on mine come from the lid.