Purchased Seasoned Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

czorbach

Dec 25, 2008
North Baltimore
This being my first year with the Jotul, I started to get concerned with my wood supply for the winter as my oak is reading 35%. I decided to buy another cord when I saw an ad for "seasoned" black locust on CL - the guy said he split it in Jan '09. I was happy when I did a MC reading and it was 22%.
My wife was not too happy and said that's it for buying wood this year - she has not yet experienced the benefits of wood burning.
I reluctantly agreed . . . next day a standing dead tree in my neighbor's yard toppled over into my yard in a t-storm. Will be cutting it up this weekend. I agreed not to buy any wood but I am not turning it down when it falls in your lap!
I will post some pictures later to try to get a wood ID - I think it is poplar.

I say, if you have the room for it and it doesn't totally disrupt the appearance of your yard. Go get it. I'm sure you'll be burning more than what you have currently.

Seems to go that way, for me anyway.

We had, the northeast, a particularly cold winter last year. I just went through more than I had forecasted to burn. (also, it was my first year burning).

Think more, hope for less. Any extra wood that you can afford to stack won't hurt you. I joke with my neighbor about trading him wood because I have too much in the next few years.
Grab while you can. It won't hurt (unless you are the oil man).
Chad

charlz said:
This being my first year with the Jotul, I started to get concerned with my wood supply for the winter as my oak is reading 35%. I decided to buy another cord when I saw an ad for "seasoned" black locust on CL - the guy said he split it in Jan '09. I was happy when I did a MC reading and it was 22%.
My wife was not too happy and said that's it for buying wood this year - she has not yet experienced the benefits of wood burning.
I reluctantly agreed . . . next day a standing dead tree in my neighbor's yard toppled over into my yard in a t-storm. Will be cutting it up this weekend. I agreed not to buy any wood but I am not turning it down when it falls in your lap!
I will post some pictures later to try to get a wood ID - I think it is poplar.

That always amazes me when someone starts burning wood and then holler because they have to actually pay something for some of the fuel. I always ask why they don't holler because they can't get some of the oil or propane for free?!

Get all the wood you can and stack it in the back yard. Smile every time you walk past that wood pile too knowing there are some dollars in your purse that won't be leaving that purse to buy oil or propane. Besides that, it is a monument to your labor!

Oh yea! get all you can! It IS money in the bank! Pay for it or not, more than likely it is still cheaper than oil based heat. I flat love it! And you can't beat the heat.

You cannot have enough split, piled, seasoned wood on hand. People move into our area , and they say, " the person I bought the house from only used 6 fc last year". I smile, and say , "around here that means have 12 fc on hand"

mainstation said:
You cannot have enough...
Actually, you can never have too much but you can have enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.