Put 'em in order

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What do I burn and in what order?

• I didn't know y'all burned wood down there

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
So, second year in as an "informed" wood burner, and I'm still learning. I now realize after much time here that prevailing wisdom is at least 12 months drying time for split wood. However, last Spring I split up some pine and red maple. I'm starting with a face cord of older pine right now for my intermittent fires since it hasn't gotten cold yet, but once I start burning in earnest next month what would you start with? FWIW I think I burn about 2+ cords a year.

Probably all about the same dryness, except the yellow pine may be further along. Burn the pine first, before it gets too cold. Mapel can be mixed with either. by the time January hits, that oak will be in much better shape, and something like oak will be nice to be burning in the cold January months, though I don't think you really know much about cold in Richmond :coolsmirk:

Depending on how small you split the oak and maple you run the risk of those two needing a little more time. I probably would not exclusively burn the pine now but rather use the pine as the igniter pieces with maple in the warmer weather and the oak as it gets colder.

I'm going with the Pine. How cold does it get down there in Richmond???? Been down that way during the summer months...never in the burn season.

Yeah, I figured the pine would be first, even with the shortest drying time. I did split the oak and maple pretty small, trying to help it along. There'll probably be some overlap of species as I go through 'em. It doesn't get very cold down here: 40's/20's with some occasional teens, but plenty of those damp chilly days. We did get a foot of snow down here last March, which was a blast, my 2 boys were lovin' it. Sorry to hear you were down here in Summer Joey, it's nasty hot and humid. I think I would freeze if I had to move up to where some of you guys are, and you'd probably melt if you had to move down here!

Only concern should be the oak. The red maple should burn really nice. Do a search on pine. Lots of interesting and funny posts on that. lol

JBinKC said:
Depending on how small you split the oak and maple you run the risk of those two needing a little more time. I probably would not exclusively burn the pine now but rather use the pine as the igniter pieces with maple in the warmer weather and the oak as it gets colder.

JBinKC, his maple is red maple and that drys fast. You would be correct with hard or sugar maple. They take a bit longer.

btw, red maple makes excellent kindling.

Once you start burning in earnest I would mix the pine with the maple as needed. Save the oak.

Pine, scrap lumber, pallets, then maple and scraps and then oak with more scrap lumber. Not sure how long a face cord of pine would last you. Me, about a week and a half in one stove. At least you know you'll start next season with the left over oak thats not quite ready yet. How far along on 2010/11 are you?

I guess I'll burn up all the pine and red maple I have early on then hit the oak later in the Winter, makes sense. I'll be amazed if I go thru all that (3+ cords), and maybe I'll hold over a little of the maple for the Spring shoulder season. I also have an extra 1+cord of oak I split last Winter, so that should be ready to rock next Winter.

PINEBURNER- I've got about a face cord of red maple and 2.5 cords of oak already split and stacked for next year, in addition to that extra cord of oak I have on standby this year. Trying to get ahead of the game.....

Status
Not open for further replies.