puttin' up the saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
I've used my new MS 250 to cut up probably 2-3 cords of wood, and I'm about probably done for a bunch of months. What should I do for the saw to keep it in tip-top shape during months of non-use? Oil the chain? Drain the gas tank? Any advice is appreciated

blow it out good clean the air fliter, emty out the gas, fill the bar oil,clean the air fliter,spray the chain with a little wd40 and keep the chain alittle lose

I just let it cool off and put it in the case. Haven't had an issue in 8 years...starts on the third pull or less every time.

mayhem said:
I just let it cool off and put it in the case. Haven't had an issue in 8 years...starts on the third pull or less every time.
LOL
I don't have a case so I just put it in the shed. Haven't had an issue in 30 years.

Spent about an hour cutting up some apple I got from a neighbor yesterday. Done now so I just unplugged my saw and put it back into the shed until next 'find' shows up.

Oh - my saw is a 6" electric Block and Decker Alligator. :lol:

(The older I get the more attached I have become to my body parts and I do just about anything to keep them operational and pain free.)

stockdoct said:
I've used my new MS 250 to cut up probably 2-3 cords of wood, and I'm about probably done for a bunch of months. What should I do for the saw to keep it in tip-top shape during months of non-use? Oil the chain? Drain the gas tank? Any advice is appreciated

Run the gas out of it, put it someplace dry, done.

I've heard mechanic's say conflicting statements about running the gas out. Some recommend it - others say it's NOT good to run the carb dry - that it's better to leave it full with gas with stabilizer. Just make sure it's clean and ready to go. That's what I'm gonna do.

I am going to keep mine inside either the garage or basement. I put my weed eater in the shed and the heat did that in. My shed is in full sun and gets very hot - I should cut a vent in it. So far, my mowers not had any problem.

Some will also put a couple drops of oil in the cylinder. Then give one slow pull on the rope and put the saw to sleep.

mayhem said:
so you have never clean your saw? There is alot of chips and dust that gets in the saws at least take air commpresser and blow it out!

smokinj said:
mayhem said:
so you have never clean your saw? There is alot of chips and dust that gets in the saws at least take air commpresser and blow it out!

Speaking of storing gas in the saw, I'm told that Sta-Bil has a "Blue" formula that supposedly answers the Ethonal question, their usual blend was/is red but supposedly if you find the blue Sta-Bil, it supposedly is formulated for Ethanol...

jay

I put mine on a shelf in the barn when I'm done with it. It has sat for days, weeks, months, even years like this with no problems since 1996.

smokinj said:
mayhem said:

Once a year I might give it a quick once over. Pull the filter off, wash it, clean the case and pull all the crap out of it...but there really isn't all that much to do. Not much gets in there...considering what it does and the environemnt a chainsaw operates in I found it quite surprising how little sawdust gets into the intake.

Bear in mind that prior to winter 2007/2008 my saw was used for just taking trees down and limbing...did not get alot of heavy use...maybe about as much use in a year as felling and bucking a cord of wood. Now that I have a stove I fell and buck about 6-7 cords, so I'm keeping an eye on the conditiona nd the wear...thus far with about 10-12 cords felled and bucked I see no changes in maintenance needs. Still not filling up any crevices with crud, still running like a champ, still starting by the third pull in any temperature.

I make an effort to run it properly...I warm it up, keep the b&c;oil filled and the chain sharp and adjusted...but I don't clean it after every use or drain the fuel and put a drop of oil in the cylinder head just to put it away for a few months. For the period after be finished the house it sat unused for about 2 years with gas in it...I shook the saw to mix it up and it started right up. Scary, but true.

On the draining the fuel issue, I'm against it myself. Draining the fuel out only leaves you with an increased liklihood of condensation forming and corroding your internals and your fuel line dry rotting. Maybe my logic is flawed, but its served me well...perhaps I'm just lucky.

I guess the answer to my original question is :

Do whatever you want, the saw is gonna last forever .....

I left gasoline in my Y2K-hysteria generator that I never used. 2 years later the fuel line had been eroded, with gasoline dripping out the bottom. I didn't want to make the same mistake with the new saw (which I love WAY more than the stupid generator) Thanks for everyone's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.