Putting a Chimney On a Holz Hausen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
My holz hausen is almost done (pictures coming), and I'm considering putting a chimney on it.

That is, in the fall, I'll cover the hausen with a tarp, and in the middle of the tarp there will be a hole for a chimney. The chimney will consist of a six inch diameter plastic pipe fastened to a small sheet of plywood. The top of the chimney will have a cap that will prevent rain from coming in.

The idea is that the wood is covered, but there can still be air flow, and I'll avoid the condensation under the tarp.

Anyone try this?

If it's covered only on the top as is recommended, how is condensation going to build up in there?

Good point.

Around here we always have high relative humidity (around 80%). I've even seen condensation appear on the roof of my wood shed, so I've assumed that it will accumulate even with the tarp just on the top.

Paint the stack black and make it as tall as is stable to catch sun and warm up for a draft. I have designed a few outhouses and they rely on the warm chimney stack to suck the nasty fumes in through the poo hole and then out the stack. These are the type of VIP outhouses that you are supposed to leave the lid open.

The latrine I built at my rural property (without permits ha!) will actually move enough air that you can feel it passing, er, beneath your seat when the sun is shining. Not stinky this way.

Moving air through your Holz is going to be the key to minimizing the build up under the tent. Since the Hoz is so rounded it is going to be tough to cover the top of the stack without mostly covering the sides.

i know this goes against "chimney logic" but would you want to allow some of the moist air to be removed into the chimney near the top of the holz hausen? as the moisture would likely accumulate near the top on the underside of the tarp in hot weather? i may be wrong in this thought (havent had enough beer yet to think clearly yet) thinking possibly punching a couple small holes up in the tube from the bottom a little to allow that moisture in.

Oh, I figured since the Holz is already built that the chimney would begin at the top of the Holz.

stoveguy2esw said:
had 4 beers since last post , i can honestly say to myself "DUUUUUUHHHHHH!!!" didnt register.of course you already assembled it , i can be an idiot from time to time

Four beers make any chimney look better. :coolgrin:

Way too much thinking going on regarding the holz. Just build it, sit back, and wait till fall and let the burning begin. Just my 2 cents worth. Been away for awhile.

Welcome back. Agreed. I thought a tarp wasn't necessary. Just cover with some bark or put the top layer with the bark side to the sun.

I'm going to build me a small one, just to play with it a little.

Well, now that your done with it. I'll give you my suggestion. I have never tried it and I don't know how well it will help, but it sounds pretty good in my head right now.

Take a long 6" piece of perforated pvc pipe. You know the type with holes in it everywhere. Run that up through the center of the stack instead of the tiny little tree. Then connect a long black painted pvc pipe without any holes in it to the other one and let it stick out as the chimney.

I kind of picture this looking like a huge caramel dipped apple. The ones that are then rolled in nuts.

Sounds like over kill to me. But doesn't hurt to try. Last year My HH didn't dry wood any faster than the straight rows I had, but it was dry. This year I went back to straight rows for convenience, and I am currently working on a tarp lean to cover. Will post some pics when I get it all figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.