Putting to use what I have learned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I have picked up some great information on this forum, thanks everyone.

So I am putting to use what I have learned. First off I believe I have been making my splits to large, so now I am going to split smaller pieces to dry better and start fires easier.

I bought a moisture meter and I am going to split some of my wood in half and test moisture level.

I bought a probe thermometer to use with my stove top thermometer to make sure I am finding that sweet spot.

I installed a thermodisk to turn the blower on only when the stove is hot.

I added another section of SS chimney section to improve draft. My stove burns way hotter, never thought I didn't have enough draft. I also checked for creosote.

Bought some fat wood, great stuff.

I cut up some pallets and split into little sticks for starting faster fires, pallets are free. Started using the top down method.

Bought two more wood racks to store wood for 2 or more years, or until dry. I will test moisture content before I burn.

I purchased another big fire extinguisher for the bedroom, just in-case of an accident.

I bought an ash rake, works great.

Bought welders gloves, comes in handy, even the wife uses them after the burn she got 3 weeks ago.

Bought a cast iron, enameled steamer for stove top, put it on trivet, maybe should put right on stove top.

Bought an Eco fan, that thing works great, point it to unheated part of cabin, can't hear it run, uses no electric.

Going to purchase Micore and make extra heat shields just for the extra safety factor.

Going to replace the single wall chimney with double wall black pipe just in-case I would have chimney fire.

While I am doing the new interior chimney I will upgrade to a quality stove.

What I tried to do is upgrade my system to make it as safe and efficient as possible. I enjoy a good fire more than the TV but I want the fire confined to the stove.

Bill said:
I have picked up some great information on this forum, thanks everyone.

So I am putting to use what I have learned. First off I believe I have been making my splits to large, so now I am going to split smaller pieces to dry better and start fires easier.

I bought a moisture meter and I am going to split some of my wood in half and test moisture level.

I bought a probe thermometer to use with my stove top thermometer to make sure I am finding that sweet spot.

I installed a thermodisk to turn the blower on only when the stove is hot.

I added another section of SS chimney section to improve draft. My stove burns way hotter, never thought I didn't have enough draft. I also checked for creosote.

Bought some fat wood, great stuff.

I cut up some pallets and split into little sticks for starting faster fires, pallets are free. Started using the top down method.

Bought two more wood racks to store wood for 2 or more years, or until dry. I will test moisture content before I burn.

I purchased another big fire extinguisher for the bedroom, just in-case of an accident.

I bought an ash rake, works great.

Bought welders gloves, comes in handy, even the wife uses them after the burn she got 3 weeks ago.

Bought a cast iron, enameled steamer for stove top, put it on trivet, maybe should put right on stove top.

Bought an Eco fan, that thing works great, point it to unheated part of cabin, can't hear it run, uses no electric.

Going to purchase Micore and make extra heat shields just for the extra safety factor.

Going to replace the single wall chimney with double wall black pipe just in-case I would have chimney fire.

While I am doing the new interior chimney I will upgrade to a quality stove.

What I tried to do is upgrade my system to make it as safe and efficient as possible. I enjoy a good fire more than the TV but I want the fire confined to the stove.

Quite a list! Looks like you learned a lot here. Good work!!

Bill _

I'm getting the sence that you're a pretty responsible type. The moisture meter isn't likely ot get much use. Once you get the feel of whatever type of wod you have loaclly you'll just keep the stuff rotated/dry. Unless you are cramped for space and/or scrounging wood that you're wanting to burn right away I think the meers are a waste. When I was scrounging only a week or 2 ahead I just judged by the sound of the splits when they were struck together; decent hardwood should sound substancial, not 'thud'.

I start with a good hot fire, then damper a fair amount on my VC Resoute Acclaim. I burned about 50% Ash wood that was cut green, split fairly small, and dried under cover for 2-3 months. I was a bit worried but only got about 4 ounces of brown tinged fly ash out of the chimney for the season this year. I heat 100% of 2000 square feet with wood.

Shop for stoves between now and the end of June. I paid less than $1K for the VC Resloute Acclaim, a 5 month old demo.

All the best,
Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.