PVC OAK for pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverwheel

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2013
USA
As the title suggests can I make one using PVC pipe?

If the piping must be metal can I use any 2 inch pipe or must I use some exact kind of pipe?

I think you will find your local code will not allow PVC. It's best to consult with the city or town code first.

My understanding is that PVC should not be used. Since the OAK is a part of the loop of combustion air.....fire....exhaust, should a power outage occur, the cycle could become reversed, thus making the OAK, the exhaust.....Probably not the best thing for PVC. I think most any metal pipe is acceptable. Flex 3" is available from the big box stores such as Lowes and Home Depot. Seems the easiest to work with. Some folks have used flexiible automotive exhaust too.

Reactions: mralias
An OAK should be made of non-combustible materials

metal flex tubing works well.

I used generic dryer vent that was smaller than the inlet hole but bigger than intake. Used heat tape to connect to stove. Works well

Status
Not open for further replies.