PVC temp tolerance for stratification baffles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
as I plan the bolting-together of the "BIG tank" (6 ft square in the horizontal dimensions, and 5 ft high= 1350 gallons or about 1200 after allowing for expansion) I also need to get my ducks in a row to plan/ design/ build the inlets and outlets so as to maintain stratification.

I am envisioning a large diameter vertical column in the horizontal center of the tank, with a divider at the vertical mid-point, and then a whole lot of rings of holes at bottom (cold) and top (hot) so that the flow, in or out, at top and bottom, in charging or discharging mode, is very low velocity, so as to help achieve and keep stratification.

4 inch schedule 80 (thick wall) PVC conduit is seeming like an excellent candidate for this "vertical baffle" IF but only IF it can take the sustained temperatures of up to 200F

conduit companies seem to specify 140 as about the limit for PVC conduit- but that presumes some need to maintain rigidity which can be less essential here than in self-supporting or suporting a bunch of wiring innards.

Anyone know the "absolute chronic long term upper temperature limit" of thick wall PVC?

or have any suggestions on pointing me to such info?

Thinwall stainless of 4 or 5 inch diameter is my next fall-back, but the PVC will be a WHOLE lot easier to drill all the little holes in if it will hold up to the temperatures

also, anyone have any suggestions on moderately flexible large (1-2 inch diameter) pipes from the baffle to the tank's side fittings? OR should I just break down, drive a dagger through my wallet, and use copper ;(

Thanks!

Is CPVC available in desired diameters? Isn't it temp rated to 210F? I have had CPCVD fail at couplings after a couple of years at 180+/-, but I have not experienced failure in a straight run of pipe. Might have failed at the cemented weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.