Q about Liner length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DStydo

Sep 27, 2017
Reidsville NC
Greetings from NC.

I got up on the roof last weekend to measure the chimney height and determine what liner length we need for our planned fireplace insert. Dropped a rope down the chimney and had wife hold other end level with lintel leaving a little slack in the rope. Measured almost exactly 15' from top of chimney down to lintel. I'm looking at liner (+insulation) kits that folks sell and they appear to be had in 5 foot increments. I think a 15' foot kit would be short but stepping up to a 20' is $80+ more and will result in a good amount of waste. Can I add a section of straight pipe somewhere in liner...maybe at the chimney cap?

Guess I could always try and ask online retailer if they would sell me a 16' kit :)

thanks in advance,

Drew

Hmmm, didn't think this would be such an obscure question.

Ill just throw it out there that Rockford said it would be OK to put a piece of rigid off the insert and couple it to the flex that will come through my block off plate. Couplers aren't cheap though. I have also read in multiple thread where folks run rigid down chimney and adapt to flex the rest of the way to stove/insert. Best option here would prob be to get 20' of flex and 15' of insulation.

Hmmm, didn't think this would be such an obscure question.

Ill just throw it out there that Rockford said it would be OK to put a piece of rigid off the insert and couple it to the flex that will come through my block off plate. Couplers aren't cheap though. I have also read in multiple thread where folks run rigid down chimney and adapt to flex the rest of the way to stove/insert. Best option here would prob be to get 20' of flex and 15' of insulation.
If you combine rigid and flex in.most cases you no longer have a ul listed system. Just het the extra 5'

I vote for the extra 5 feet. Liner installation often involves lots of twisting, pulling, and pushing from both ends. It may not end up as straight a shot as your rope took. It would be a bad feeling to have the liner be 6" too short.

I'd stay with the 15' kit, they are usually a little longer than the length you select. Besides you can purchase a Round Liner to Liner Quick Connector to connect 2 sections of liner if needed for about $45 and they throw in a small section of liner for free.

A piece of rigid should work fine as long as you have the space in the firebox to do it, don't forget that the liner terminates into a stainless steel appliance adapter.