Q if you have your BK in an alcove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
If you have your BK in an alcove, is reaching back between the stove and alcove wall to engage the Cat, adjust the t-stat or adjust the fan controls a problem? I have a 5 ft. wide by 26" chase (rough opening) I can open up in my basement (I may brick the back and sides so it would be smaller) for a wood stove. Opinions?

If you end up with even 4 to 4.5 ft. of width you should be fine as far as reaching the controls.
Look up clearances though.

HotCoals said:
If you end up with even 4 to 4.5 ft. of width you should be fine as far as reaching the controls.

I am worried about being able to see the t-stat dial with it at the back and not being able to look at it straight-on. My eyes aren't very good to begin with.

BillsWS said:
HotCoals said:

I am worried about being able to see the t-stat dial with it at the back and not being able to look at it straight-on. My eyes aren't very good to begin with.
Yeah..mine sets in a corner and it's a little hard to see it.
After awhile you can tell where it's at just by the feel of it by the way the knob is made.
I never really look at the numbers anymore..no need.

Status
Not open for further replies.