1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Qaudrafire CB 1200 flame height question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by smg64ct, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smg64ct

smg64ct Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I just moved into a house that has a CB 1200. I've adjusted the flame height, the flame is very high at the start. Slowly the flame will go down. I think it's going down too low. I will then adjust it then it's too high. I can't seem to find a happy medium. I had the stove cleaned and the pellets are the right size. I had a pellet stove at my other house, so I'm not new to them.

Thanks for your help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    How's the heat output steve?

I.E. does it seem with the "too low" flame, you're not getting the same amount of heat output?

I'm just wondering, because with our old stove (A Jamestown), on low burn the flame was often quite low, but the heat output was still consistent at the low flame heights.
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    the quadrafire uses a spring auger, not a screw auger. The spring will dump different amounts of fuel with each turn, but it averages out over a hour. Hard to explain... Lets see. If the stove is set for 5 lbs a hour then in one hours time it will dump 5 pounds, but every minute it will drop different amount of pellets because the auger is a big streched out spring. Not a screw that fits tight to the sides and delivers the same amount of fuel with each turn of the auger. Its common on quads to vary. Its not common for it to just go out. Also, wait twenty minutes between adjustments.
  4. smg64ct

smg64ct Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the info. The heat output seems good even with the low flame. I just get a little nervous when I see the big flame in the begining.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    As long as the stove settles down to an average shorter flame the initial higher flame is ok. The flame can vary from as low as 1" to 5" above the edge of the burnpot. It should be sharp, like a furnace. If it is high, orangish and lazy, with tongues of flame licking at the heat exchanger tubes, there are too many pellets being fed. I found that once the feedrate is set correctly it doesn't need to be changed until one switches pellet brands.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.