QF Isle Royale air issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roc1784y

Aug 15, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
We purchased an Isle Royale stove earlier this year and thus far we have been very happy with it. There are two issues I am having with the stove regarding air flow.

1. Air controls. Once the fire is going I shut off the start air and let it burn for a while. When I do this you can visibly see the fire change in the stove so I do think it is off. Once the flames are going I push the primary air to the right about ½ way and the flames go down. I push the primary air all the way to the right and the flames go down more….but don’t go down enough. The flames are still going strong (granted less than before) even though the air control is all the way to the right. I guess I was expecting it to down to a flicker, but the flames are still going strong. Is this normal?

2. We purchased the OEM blower for the stove and just installed it. I think I installed it right. It is louder than expected and sounds like it is working but I hardly feel it blowing out at all. The pipe is installed straight up. It just sounds like the fan is working hard and loud but no air is blowing out. It’s like the air is stuck in the rear heat shield. I was expecting to feel hot air across the room and it does not seem to be any different than before. Could the stove installers have blocked something? Could the fan be backwards? Any ideas?

Any insight is welcomed.

Thanks,

J

The Isle Royale is an easy breathing stove so I wonder how strong the draft is on this flue. How tall is it?

That is tall for most stoves and too tall for the IR. This stove needs a draft damper on the flue pipe. Once the fire is going strong you should be able to close the damper all the way. That should make the stove's air control more responsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.