Quad 5100 or Regency 3100?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
I think I am down to one of these two models. They seem to be very comparable in terms of firebox, log size, burn times etc.. One difference I have noted is the blowers. The quad states a variable speed blower and the regency a temp controlled automatic blower. Can anyone illuminate the difference in the two? Has anyone else compared these two recently and made a decision one way or another? If so, why did you do what you did?

The quad is temp controlled also. It does not come on until the stove top is about 350 degrees and shuts off when the stove cools down to about 175. The speed is variable and that is nice. I do not know anything about the regency.
I do enjoy my quad 5100 and for the last 12 years.

My Regency fan has two speeds. I always use the low speed unless the stove is hotter than I want. I've never wished I could fine tune the low speed setting.

Ok so tomorrow I am going to pay for my new insert. I'm getting the Regency 3100. The dealer is taking 10% off everything but the labor so I feel like I am getting a good deal. Hopefully he can get it installed between Christmas and New Year's since I am off for that whole week.

They are going to install 25' of liner which they will insulate. The top of the chimney flue will be blocked off with the plate from the liner kit. The cap is whatever standard cap is coming with the kit. I am guessing that with the chimney flue blocked off up top and the liner insulated for the length means a bottom block off plate becomes less important, true or false?

Also, the face of the chimney inside is not flat, it is rock with irregular spacing which will leave gaps of up to 1 inch between the surround and the face. The dealer told me they will insulate between the surround and the chimney with insulation that comes with the insert. I'm not exactly keen on the other option which is to cut out the rock to the exact measurement of the surround.

On Saturday a sweep is coming to clean the chimney. The flue is not too bad but the firebox itself does have a good bit of crud from the insert that is in there now (slammer install where the guy was obviously burning anything and everything).

I guess in the end I am just going to ask if there is anything that may not be obvious to a newb like myself that I should ask the dealer.

Have them inspect the chimney to make sure the sweep acutally swept it. Have them build a fire for you before they go to show you how to use the stove and to make sure the smoke is going the right way

Your going to love that 3100 insert. You would have loved the Quad just as much. No real right or wrong choice. I've sold and used them both. Both units gave me tons of happy customers.

Well walked into the dealer today and he said he wouldn't sell me the insert unless I really really wanted it because he just talked to the Regency rep and expects some sort of rebate to come out in January that should make it worth my while to wait. We shall see.

He did say they would fire it up the first time to give me the run through on operation. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.