Quad 7100 vs FPX 36

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually people are looking to use a EPA ZC as their primary heat. When that is the case, if money isn't an issue, I would always go bigger. 3000 sq ft is quite a bit. You may have an issue getting even heat upstairs. However, with the cat, you should be able to achieve secondary burn without stuffing it to the gills. I always figure I would rather have excess firebox and not need it.

On the other hand, if you are truly going to be a casual burner as it seems, I might go with the smaller stove and save the $.

My house somewhat similar in sq ft, but no basement. My first level is ~1,500 sq ft. Family room (with the stove) and kitchen are in same area, which is about 700 sq ft and has 10 - 8 ft ceilings and also a ceiling fan. Three arch ways form the openings that lead to other lower level side of house where the other rooms of entry way, living room, and formal dining are. Also stairs to bedrooms lead here. This side of the house gets the heat via air circulation and is almost as warm but also less frequently used. Bedrooms are upstairs and on other end of the house, they are cooler but I don't really care cause I don't want them warm anyway.

I was pretty much a 24/7 burner but am also a pyro and wood-heat freak like so many others here, whom I have learned so much from, so I actually enjoyed and relaxed with it. I think the 44 gives you larger log sizes and firebox but not sure about air blower which is where I get most of my heat. Some people tried to tell me that this would "heat me out of my room" but I'd rather be able to open a window (which I rarely do) and cool down, then not have enuf stove and not be able to get it warm. I think my higher ceilings also give me more air space so overall I'm sized right, aside from the fact that I put mine into an existing fireplace and couldn't go bigger w/o a complete remodel. Hope that helps from a non-techie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.