Quad Castile install progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradH70

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2011
South West NH
I'm installing a Quad Castile in the upstairs family room and thought that I should share some photos. I should have the install finished and stove running tomorrow. The only thing that will be left to do is the OAK. I still need to order a couple of parts for that.

ge9etemu.jpg

y8aby9e6.jpg

y3emehe7.jpg

I will have more pictures to share tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to get this stove running. It should definitely help to keep the upstairs nice and toasty.

Reactions: smoke show
Straight up exhaust, is gonna make the leaf blower trick easy to accomplish.

Im sure your gonna love the simplicity of the Quad. Set on Low or Med (The lower the better, in my opinion, to keep the cycles longer/ on longer, but raises the soak temp, so its off longer) and set your stat, then Bam.... Heat!

Looks great. Love the color of the room too. Keep the pics coming.

Hello

The Hearth should stick out at least 6 inches in front of the stove. Please check the manual where it should state that. If it does not then inspection would fail and the insurance company may give you a problem.

Hello

The Hearth should stick out at least 6 inches in front of the stove. Please check the manual where it should state that. If it does not then inspection would fail and the insurance company may give you a problem.

Don, it looks like the stove isn't on the Hearth Pad that was shown in the pic. Looks like a temporary pad to protect the floor. The vent isn't ran down to the stove either. Install is still in progress according to the OP.

Seems as if the Heath pad shown, will be satisfactory. Once its under the stove :)

Yes, the stove is currently sitting on some plywood to protect the floor. The hearth pad is dimensioned properly for the stove and I should have no issues with the inspection.

Tomorrow I will be getting the hearth pad and stove in place, making the final exhaust vent connection and hooking up the T-stat.

I actually had to run the exhaust straight back through the knee wall and then made the 90* turn up through the roof using a "T" clean out. If I tried to go straight up from the back of the stove, the combination of the "T" clean out and cathedral ceiling adaptor pushed the stove farther out into the room then I wanted it to be. I need to save room for the pool table!

Yes, I just wanted to make sure the Hearth is big enough. I use full 12" tiles - 3 x 3 to insure enough room in front.

The work looks top notch, and a pool table you say, nice.

Don't forget the pics on the finish. I have a castile and even though it isn't a real power house I am really satisfied with mine. It is an 06 and I just replaced the combustion blower because it was getting noisy and I pulled the burn pot out and gave it a good cleaning and new gasket. These are the first parts on the stove because the previous owner told me they just fed it pellets and never had an issue. I forget they did give me paperwork where they replaced the igniter twice but that is it which is hard to beat.

Yes, 3' wide but not 3' deep!

The stove is 23.250" wide and needs 2" clearance on the sides. So that's 27.750" wide (pad is at least 30" not counting grout 1/4" lines) and then 24.750" deep, add the 2" for the back and 6" for the front 32.750" (pad is 36").

At 2' 6" x 3' I think we are splitting hairs here. The Castile has a small footprint and is going to look fantastic sitting on top of it.
The OP (BradH70) is trying to utilize as little space as possible for this stove.

Thats the nice thing about this place. So many different people and so many different ideas. If everyone had the same manila 3' x 3' Hearth and the same stove, this place wouldn't exist.

Looks great. Waiting for finished pics today ;)

You guys are awesome! I love the way we banter over projects but almost always come to the conclusion that the install looks great and that we will end up having a special erection for our stoves.

Just to clear things up on the hearth pad.....

The actual dimensions (including trim) is 38"d x 34.5"w. It gives me the 6" out the front that is required and about 5" on either side. The height is 2".

The stove and hearth pad are going to look very nice in the room. Waiting for my dad to show up to help me get the stove lifted up onto the hearth pad. Hope to have more pictures tonight.

Reactions: DexterDay
It's that dang spell checker in the iPad again! Should have been "affection".

But I guess that the original post may not be to far from the truth for some stove owners :)

Ok, so I got the stove in place and hooked up (less OAK) and running. I thought everything was going good except that the heat exchange blower does not come on, even after the stove has been running for a while.

Will check the following:
Snap disk
Voltage to blower (regulated by control board)
And verify motor is good.

The stove is used but before I bought it, we ran it in the sellers driveway and everything was working then. Just wondering if something happened during the trip home or the several times it was moved.

If anyone else has some recommendations for debug, I would appreciate it.

any5a6um.jpg

2avy2epy.jpg

basa7e8e.jpg

Wow, looks great. The hearth fits perfect! Good Job!

Great looking install......and don't forget about a good quality surge protector as Jay mentioned above....VERY important to protect your investment.

Ok, so I was able to spend a few minuets debugging the combustion blower issue and found that the snap disk for this motor was open.

Is this something that can be caused from moving the Steve around? Can it be reset or do I need to replace it?

You can see in the picture that I bypassed the snap disk and the blower ran fine and changed speeds based on heat level settings.
zysare8e.jpg

Ok, so I'm thinking that maybe the snap disk is so posed to stay open until it hits 110* which then would cause it to close and start the heat exchange blower.

I have the stove running right now on medium and there is not a lot of heat coming out and the flame is a bit small, just nearly clearing the top of the burn pot.

Is it possible that the fuel feed needs to be opened up to allow for a higher stove temp which will then close the snap switch?

Hello

Yes, the snap disc closes at 110 or 120 deg F after the startup cycle is over. It is called the Low Limit Snap Disk. When it closes the fan stays on, then after shutdown when the temp drops below 110 Deg F, the fan shuts off.
Quad used the mini snap disks that cost about $20.00, When I replaced one in the CB1200, I purchased the standard 3/4" white rodgers from Pex supply for $5 dollars and mounted it right next to where the broken one went. LOL. Now it is a $5.00 fix instead of a $20.00 fix. I just like to save money. LOL

So how long does the start up cycle usually take? I had it running on high for good amount of time and the blower never came on.

So how long does the start up cycle usually take? I had it running on high for good amount of time and the blower never came on.

Shouldn't be too long(less than 20 minutes). But the area has to warmed to 110ºF. If you have a laser temp gun you can get a close reading. If its hotter than 110ºF check the stove for ash build up where the snap disc is located(inside the unit). Ash will act like an insulator and it will take longer to throw the switch.

Low fire may delay the starting of the CF, But it should be on pretty quick when in high fire. The fuel gate is to adjust for pellet variance. I think it is described in the manual. If not Dexterday can help you.

I use a hot air gun along with my temp probe to get the switch up to temp and check its continuity with a meter. If I get it 10-15% hotter and the switch doesn't close I toss it. Some Quad owners replace the switch with a 90ºF switch for quicker CF starts. FYI only.

Status
Not open for further replies.