1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Quad~Castille Whistling Dixie

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MainePellethead, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Hey kids...

Just a question. For a few days now my Castille has developed(only on low setting as far as I can tell) a slight whistle, sounds worse at night with sound carrying(and the thirty dogs hanging out outside lol). Its not ground halting screaching but like a low whistle. Sounds almost like someone blowing lightly into a coke bottle. So.....I cleaned off the exhaust fan(which wasnt dirty hardly at all) I traced the sound to what I thought was at the convection blower....cleaned that all up nice...wasnt to dirty but a lil dust on the blades. But....now I'm thinking....hmm....when I'm listening and following the direction of the whistling....sounds like the whistling "may" be coming from one of the airflow holes in the burn pot....maybe something in one of the holes causing a slight whistle maybe? Havent checked that yet......any ideas?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Usually they whistle when there is an air leak someplace. Make sure the ash dump is not sagging too much and closing fully.
  3. MainePellethead

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Thanks JT......I was thinking air somewhere when I was thinking the holes in the burnpot.....thanks on the ashdump! That makes sense.....I'll check it....
  4. mgambuzza

mgambuzza Member

Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    My Castile will do it at startup initially, but usually dies down once it gets to temperature.
  5. MainePellethead

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Ok....one thing I noticed. I am very up on cleaning my burnpot etc daily. Today I didnt get to it....and I notice tonight...I hear no light whistling at all. Hmm. (The light whistling usually only happens on low)....
  6. shawnjhawn

shawnjhawn New Member

Loc:
    western pa
    my castile does the train whistle thing sometimes during start up. subsides after a few minutes. I do get a grumbling sound like an F-15 taking off when the pot needs emptied. Make sure all the holes are not obstructed in the pot.

castile owner
  7. MainePellethead

Loc:
    Southern Maine
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.