Quad CB1200 control box settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Hello all, been reading up on posts for an install of my cb1200. I'm heating 1000sq ft, and it looks like running it on low with the feed open all the way works well for people. My question is I can't find the control box so that I can change the setting to "1". My santa fee has one but this cb1200 doesn't, Could it be a production change? Mine was made 6/11

Open the lid like you do to pull the rods, look in the upper right rear corner, it is under that. You must remove that by removing the right side panel.

Check your manual for proper control box switch settings, not sure if its 1 or 4 for a 1200 freestander. That's the switch setting it needs to be in, or the +10 percent feed rate switch #. What people are talking about is running the stove on low with the feed rod open fully, but would highly suggest running on low or med heat setting with the proper feed adjustment and obviously the control box set up properly. The other switch settings on the cb is there because the cb is used in the Castille and Santafe with their proper setting (and software program) to be at. Be careful adjusting things that don't need to be.....

While some people DO run their stoves quite successfully as you describe, if you think about it, you should see a problem with that technique. From batch to batch, brand to brand, species to species, and density variations, there is a huge difference in feed rates with the control plate kept in one position. Even within a single brand, I have seen my stoves have their gates fully open and then fully closed to keep the flame height PER THE INSTRUCTIONS. This is an adjustment that should be made when you change brands, open a new pallet of the same brand, or if you see a change in the average pellet length. By adjusting to a certain AVERAGE flame height on HIGH, you are setting essentially the 'mixture' of fuel/oxygen, just like in a car. If you leave it wide open on low, you're going to run 'rich' no matter what and have excess soot or creosote build up. With the fan on low, you WILL have more time for what heat you get to transfer to the terribly inefficient heat transfer system but you will also have your room blower running slowly, unless you modify it so that it runs on high all the time so that you get good turbulent flow instead of laminar flow. You'll still be running 'rich' and have inefficient combustion.

Do yourself a favor and set the stove per instructions. Later you can experiment but we don't want you to be posting next winter that your house won't get warm. :)

Oh, and why would you need to 'change' your control box setting to 1? If it's the one that came with the stove, it should be set to 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.