quad fire santa fe insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

byjets2001

Jun 24, 2022
nh
Hi my name is Will I had a question regarding my santa fe quadfire insert. water went down my chimney on a stormy new hampshire night i was told took out my control box and junction box. does wind driven rain do this? or is there a underlying issue with the install and or chimney? pellets in hopper were wet as well..

Will welcome to the forum
In other words, water poured down your chimney and flooded the stove
Yes that would take out the electronics
You need to seal the chimney at the top and install a rain cap
I have to presume that you have a liner in a masonry chimney and the
cap stone and where the liner comes out is not sealed which allows water
down onto the top of your stove

Will welcome to the forum
In other words, water poured down your chimney and flooded the stove
Yes that would take out the electronics
You need to seal the chimney at the top and install a rain cap
I have to presume that you have a liner in a masonry chimney and the
cap stone and where the liner comes out is not sealed which allows water
down onto the top of your stove
THANK YOU MAN. WOULD IT COME IN FROM A CRACK IN THE CROWN? IF SO ITS NEVER ONCE DID IT WHILE IVE BEEN IN THIS HOUSE 5 PLUS YEARS? OR WAS IT BECAUSE THERE WAS 60MPH WINDS AND RAIN COMING IN SIDEWAYS LIKE THE INSTALL GUY TOLD ME AS IN LIKE AN UNPRECEDNTED STORM MULTIPLE TREES IN MY BACKYARD CAME DOWN? SO NOT SURE WHAT TO BELIEVE. WOULD IT COME DOWN THE CHIMENY OR DOWN THE PIPE LINER?

That sucks. I’m sorry to hear that about your stove and trees coming down.
I’m no expert, but I assume it could maybe be either.
Perhaps your homeowners insurance can help cover the cost?

I just started a new thread asking about the Santa Fe. I’m interested in getting one.

COME DOWN THE CHIMENY OR DOWN THE PIPE LINER?
In order for it to get into the electronics it would have to come down the chimney.
If it came down the liner it would have filled the firebox, combustion fan area with water
and that area is well sealed