Quad MVAE thermocouple ceramic cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
I had my stove installed by the dealer in March 2011. Could not be happier with it. Only problem I ever had with it was a failed igniter. When running the stove 24/7, I clean it weekly but, recently, after some major surgery, I only run it at night and, therefore, clean it every two weeks. Recently, I've been having trouble with ash build up around the ceramic cover for the thermocouple such that it acts as an insulator which, in turn, prevents restart after auto-cleaning and gives me a "Min Firepot Temp" error code. This is happening every few days. I burn Hamers pellets as I have every year since I got the stove. It's an easy fix. Just open the door, knock the ash off with my fingers and restart but who wants to do that at 3AM?

So my questions are, have any other MVAE or Quad owners experienced this and, if yes, how did you correct it? Does the thermocouple cover need to be changed every few years? Is it possible to clean and polish? Originally it was pretty smooth. Seems to be rather rough now perhaps allowing ash to adhere to it more easily.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I wish all of you pelleteers a very Happy Thanksgiving.

I clean my cover once a month with warm water and dawn dish soap and an old toothbrush. It drys while i clean the rest of the stove. I’ve had 3 covers in 14years.

Reactions: kappel15
Hey great. Will be cleaning stove this weekend and adding this to my routine. Any thoughts re: spraying with silicone after it dries? Happy Thanksgiving.

I would take it off and see if there is any ash buildup inside of it, causing this issue. And make sure it is touching the inside end of the cover. You can sand it some with some sandpaper, to clean it up some. Just remember it is ceramic and won't take a lot of abuse. lol And it could be something else entirely, like the igniter slit partially blocked by a clinker,or igniter housing filled with ash or some of the pot holes plugged. Exhaust path partially plugged. kap