1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. yooper81

yooper81 Member

Loc:
    U.P Michigan
    What exactly am I supposed to be disconnecting on my CB1200 when sucking the ash out of my vent with the leaf blower? Recently read a few posts on here and the need to disconnect vacuum. Have not done this in past cleanings. No idea where this is located......

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rparker

rparker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vermont
    Take off the left side cover (unplug the stove). The vacuum switch is located on the inside back cover. Remove the hose from the switch.
    Not absolutely necessary to remove the hose but the leaf blower can damage the vacuum switch if left connected.
  3. smoke show

smoke show Guest

meh. just leave the door open.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    A lot of vacuum switches can withstand 10" wc pressure differential which is far more than a leaf blower can deliver and represents an operating range of an order of magnitude (factor of 10) over the maximum that is produced in a normal pellet stove. The next level down is still capable of withstanding 5" wc which is over 5 times what a normal pellet stove can produce and still more than a leaf blower can produce.

So open the door or remove the hose if you don't know the limits of your particular switch.

I live dangerously and leave the hose on and the door closed. I get more pellets in the burn pot that way when I have finished using the leaf blower.
  5. smoke show

smoke show Guest

6. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Ive only done the leaf blower once on my Classic Bay 1200 didnt do anything with the vacuum switch and left the door closed. Although I may disconnect it next time if the rubber looks like it can take being taken off and put back on many times.
  7. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I remove mine. But there are many that don't.

I do it, so that I can blow the fines out of the nipple (connects at auger flight/drop chute area). Disconnect hose from vac switch and blow towards stove.

This should be done at least once a year. That nipple will clog over time. (Quite a few threads every year about no pellet feed at start up, and this is the cause, a lot of the time)