Quad trap door problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezer

Dec 4, 2012
Marlboro NY
Hi, the trap door on my Quadrafire Santa Fe burner pot keeps going out of adjustment. With back problems it's hard to get down there all the time. We just tightened it 3 days ago, it's getting out of kilter again. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to solve it? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
The only adjustment on this is the swing arm bolt. And you have to be careful as it has to fit together correctly. You may want to try a new locknut if it keeps coming loose. kap

The only adjustment on this is the swing arm bolt. And you have to be careful as it has to fit together correctly. You may want to try a new locknut if it keeps coming loose. kap

Thanks Kap, it came loose again. Do if you know if a stainless nut and bolt from the hardware store would work, I'm not sure where to order through Quadra Fire. And Happy Thanksgiving!

Are you sure it still has the correct shoulder bolt? Maybe it got replaced with a standard bolt which wouldn't allow proper nut torquing without locking the door in place.

Are you sure it still has the correct shoulder bolt? Maybe it got replaced with a standard bolt which wouldn't allow proper nut torquing without locking the door in place.

I'm assuming it is, I bought the stove new and I know I never replaced it.

No, it is a special bolt with a thicker area on it that works like a shim as jzm has stated. Nut should be on top. How old of a stove is it? Is it still under warranty? If so, you could call the dealer out to look at it. Any dealer can order it, or you can google quad parts, and places that sell em will come up. kap

You need to tighten it good, but not enough the door won't open easily. When pot floor gets a carbon buildup on it, it will be hard to open pot floor. It is time then to clean the pot floor.kap

Reactions: Geezer
You need to tighten it good, but not enough the door won't open easily. When pot floor gets a carbon buildup on it, it will be hard to open pot floor. It is time then to clean the pot floor.kap

Just an update on what seems to work in case it should help someone else. The fix was simple enough, tighten the nut and bolt down, then put a lock washer and another nut on, tighten that against the original. Seems to be fine now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.