Quadra-Fire 3100 Millennium vs. Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 burn characteristics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I should qualify my statement. The only time I see a little coaling is during shoulder season when temps are above 45ºF and draft is weaker. When 24/7 burning with winter temperatures, I have hot glowing coals left over, but not cold black ones.

Indeed our setups all vary and this too affects stove operation and performance under different conditions.

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks for discussion! I am currently trying to decide between Quad Discovery II and PE Super Heritage. Both are 2.0/2.1 fire boxes. Struggling for decision. Ugh.

I've owned Quad and PE stoves. Both are well made products. After using both I am admittedly a little biased toward PE, mostly because I am lazy and this is the easiest stove I've owned for operation, cleaning and maintenance, but also because it works so well. The fact that the mid-sized PEs have the best burn times for a secondary burn stove is icing on the cake. But if you prefer the Discovery design, go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems like design may be key to my decision but man I do love simplicity as well. I like the height of the Discovery as my back isn't the best and the wood storage, but the drawback is no ash dump.
I just feel the PE may be more beginner friendly and dependable. Idk. I have to take my wife into consideration as she will be operating as well.
BTW Begreen, we lived in Belfair, WA for a bit. Beautiful country on the OP.

Yes, it seems like design may be key to my decision but man I do love simplicity as well. I like the height of the Discovery as my back isn't the best and the wood storage, but the drawback is no ash dump.
I just feel the PE may be more beginner friendly and dependable. Idk. I have to take my wife into consideration as she will be operating as well.
BTW Begreen, we lived in Belfair, WA for a bit. Beautiful country on the OP.

Belfair huh? I grew up in Silverdale and had property at trails end lake in belfair.

I would love a super sized pe in my home if a cat stove and was impossible. Not a quad.

but the drawback is no ash dump.

Unless they've changed something, the super's ash system is pretty useless. I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker.

The stove does burn for a really long time, though.