Quadra Fire 4300 Hearth Requirement? Pic included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejwoodward

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2008
Western NC
After much deliberation, I decided to purchase the quad 4300 step top over the PE Summit to replace the castine. As I have been patiently awaiting the new stove I have been reviewing the manual and found an Uh Oh! For the hearth, the manual states "it is necessary to install a floor protector of a minimum of 3/8 inch thick metal clad millboard or equivalent a minimum of 16 inches in front of glass and 8 inches to both sides of the fuel loading door." What exactly is 3/8 inch metal clad millboard? Currently I have a raised hearth with plywood topped with a 1/2 inch of thinset and flat stone. The dealer I bought the stove from says I am fine with what I have. Beyond the hearth pad I have a piece of sheet metal that I use for ember protection. Do I have sufficient protection for the quad?

Attachments

• Quadra Fire 4300 Hearth Requirement?  Pic included
    DSC00678.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 179
Bump. Just got a used quad 4300 ACT, and the manual says the same thing. WTH is "3/8 inch metal clad millboard?"

Mil board is similar to micore 300. Micore 300 has a r value of 1.2/ .5 inch. There are lots a lists out there that give you r values for common materials but if you can't find one I can send you a link. Most hearthstone wood stove manuals (shelburn) give you r's for common hearth materials.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.