Quadra-Fire 5700 - Good stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

525fury

Jan 13, 2011
Smyrna, TN
Hi, About to purchase my first stove and this is one of three that I am considering (Jotul F500 Oslo, Napoleon 1900P, and Quad 5700).

Any thoughts, concerns, or likes/dislikes about this stove you would like to share?
Seems I am changing my mind every day, based on different posts and stories I am reading. About to pull the plug, just wanna get it right the first time!

Thanks much for sharing!

525fury said:
Hi, About to purchase my first stove and this is one of three that I am considering (Jotul F500 Oslo, Napoleon 1900P, and Quad 5700).

Any thoughts, concerns, or likes/dislikes about this stove you would like to share?
Seems I am changing my mind every day, based on different posts and stories I am reading. About to pull the plug, just wanna get it right the first time!

Thanks much for sharing!
Fury, after burning my QuadraFire 5700 for a first almost full season, I can say I'm unhappy with the amount of heat the stove produces for having such a large firebox. I've burned mostly Oak and hickory, from 12-20% , tested with a moisture meter. Seems getting heat from just the top and out the glass door of the stove is a big waste of the heat potential from this stove. Fan on high and the stove draft wide open puts out more heat, but just uses that much more wood. I had a smaller S210 Country Stove years ago, that out heated this stove hands down. I don't know if there's a better way to burn this stove but for the size I'm disappointed. I will definitely invest into a Woodstock stove next time. Am I missing something burning this stove?

Thanks for the reply. I purchased and have been burning a Napoleon 1900P for almost a month now. Couldn't be happier. Love it!
It really heats up my 3100 sq ft two story house, and heat output is easy to control. So far, I think I made the right decision, based on my needs and layout.

525fury said:
Thanks for the reply. I purchased and have been burning a Napoleon 1900P for almost a month now. Couldn't be happier. Love it!
It really heats up my 3100 sq ft two story house, and heat output is easy to control. So far, I think I made the right decision, based on my needs and layout.
I talked to a guy that sells Napoleon's as one of his stove lines . He's a fireman and cleans chimney's. He said he could look down a chimney and tell if the people own a Napoleon when he goes to inspect the chimney. Sounds like they are very clean burning stoves.

525fury said:
Hey have the same tractor. I can say I'm real happy with that. My house is two stories about 2500 sq ft. I think the stove should have put out alot more heat. Live and learn.

stallings said:
We sale all three of those stoves, if it was mine i would definitely go with the Quadra-fire 5700
Stallings , is there a trick to getting more heat from my stove . Seems like the heat goes right up my flue. My flue gas temps match my stove temps most of the time. How about using the seconday or lower side air control that regulates air in from the back. Sometimes I open that a crack and run my main control open a crack. That seems the only way to keep alot of the heat in the stove verses going up the pipe. I hate to think I need to install a damper. Was the a problem with the aircontrols on any of these 5700 models. Mine is a very early one, had ill built legs and the wrong leg brackets when I got it new. Was there other issues with this new stove that I wasn't told?

stallings said:
does you model have the ACC air control? How is the secondary baffle, is the ceramic baffle and fire blanket in good condition?
Yes I do have the ACC control. Baffel is in good shape as well as the blanket. When the stove was new, I reached into the flue outlet, and even made sure everything was in place, to the back of the stove and blanket laying flat not bunched up. Checked the door gasket with a sheet of paper. seems fine. The stove door does seem tighter at the top than at the bottom. Is there any adjust ment there as the latch is not centered in the door , 2/3rds the way to the top. I think that should have been put in the center of the door, to provide equal clamping pressure. Is it worth running the ACC control on the lower settings in combination with the main air control?

you need to search "quadrafire 5700" on here and see the comments already. We had a huge discussion regarding these last fall. lots of pics and comments there

xclimber what is the highest stove top temp you have reached, my summit does not put out the heat I need but everyone else can blister the paint on the walls with theirs so I know I have a problem other than the stove.

Hi Sparky, you should be taking your temperature at the stovepipe about 2 feet above the top of the stove. I've sold PE's before and all my customers have been happy with them regarding output. Do you have single or dual air controls? I'm a little fuzzy on the summit design since I've switched brands. I can say that in the 14 years I've been in business most of the poor heat output issues arise from one of two sources: improperliy seasoned wood or improper appliance operation.

Are you running a blower on the stove or have you installed one of those "heat exchanger" setups in the connector pipe? Is the chimney properly sized and completely cleaned? You can only imagine how many chimneys I've looked at that are "cleaned" by the homeowner where I can still take out a 5 gallon bucket of creosote after cleaning it.

I have a ton of posts on here if you want to look them up, I am burnt out on this and do not want to hyjack this post. Check out the summit flue damper one on this page and some of what you ask will be answered.

The 5700 is Quad's work horse. I have had mine going into 3 seasons now and the thing cranks the heat. Burn seasoned wood and you will not have any issues. The only expense I regret is the ash pan...don't need it, open the door and scoop the ash out.

I dunno, lots to choose from out there but I like mine a lot.

ratherbfishin said:
The 5700 is Quad's work horse. I have had mine going into 3 seasons now and the thing cranks the heat. Burn seasoned wood and you will not have any issues. The only expense I regret is the ash pan...don't need it, open the door and scoop the ash out.

I dunno, lots to choose from out there but I like mine a lot.
First season with mine. I agree about the ash pan. Never used it once. What do you run your stove top at? I see temps over 700 pretty easy . I've been at 800 only a quarter way open on the draft with dry wood. Do you run with your back draft open at all? Sometimes I find closing everything and just opening the front and rear an 1/8 inch or so provides a great burn. Have you found any settings you feel work well?

So at 800 stove top you still are not happy with the heat out put, was your old stove a EPA type?

oldspark said:
So at 800 stove top you still are not happy with the heat out put, was your old stove a EPA type?
At 800 it's cranking heat , but I think that might be too hot to run the stove. Of course it doesn't stay that temp that long. I also took my IR gun and found the exact spot on my stove top to get the highest readings. About the area of a coffee cup saucer. Am I being to cautious about a top end temp. I mean at 800, my fire brick brackets aren't glowing red or anything. I notice at times my secondary tubes will glow red. Is that a norm or too hot?

So does any one know if 800 is too hot for the quad 5700, I do not.

If that beast at 700 won't heat the joint, tell us what you are trying to heat. House size, insulation, window condition etc. If that stove will run at those temps, it ain't the stove that is the problem.

2300 sq ft 1840's farm house. House has been all redone before we bought. Windows, insulation, stripped down to the post and beam frame. I can't say the stove doesn't heat the house, keeps the far end of the house 68 when it's 20 out. 78 in the main room the stove's in. It's a big house the way it's laid out. 3 beds, 3 baths. Installing an Esse wood cookstove in a open room adjacent to the kitchen over the summer , so this should even out the heat demand nicely. Just too bad there's heat shields on the sides of the Quad. I think it would give off alot more heat with out them.

oldspark said:
Not wanting to belittle your stove ,but just stating my experiences with two 5700's,the one I bought in 2004 was a great stove and temperatures of 800 were not uncommon,however about four months ago while reading an article here about cracks in the main body under the heat shields,I checked my stove and low and behold cracks on both sides. Quadrafire did replace the stove in its entirety including removal and installation of the old and the NEW 5700. I absolutely hated the new 5700 smaller firebox,and automatic damper that I thought was useless.I got rid of it and now have a new King Ultra.I wish the best of luck to you with your Quad and merely stated my experince with my two.

ohlongarm said:
oldspark said:
Not wanting to belittle your stove ,but just stating my experiences with two 5700's,the one I bought in 2004 was a great stove and temperatures of 800 were not uncommon,however about four months ago while reading an article here about cracks in the main body under the heat shields,I checked my stove and low and behold cracks on both sides. Quadrafire did replace the stove in its entirety including removal and installation of the old and the NEW 5700. I absolutely hated the new 5700 smaller firebox,and automatic damper that I thought was useless.I got rid of it and now have a new King Ultra.I wish the best of luck to you with your Quad and merely stated my experince with my two.
Where abouts were your cracks under the heat shields?

flueguyPA said:
Search "5700 metal problems" and you'll see the thread and photos
Just checked out the thread with the pictures. Checked my sides behind the heat shields,,, no cracks. Mine is a 2009 production run.

xclimber said:
ohlongarm said:
oldspark said:
Where abouts were your cracks under the heat shields?
Check out the thread Nov 17,2010 it will show you exactly what mine had ,as well as the crack on the stoves interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.