Quadra-Fire burning out of control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Barnstang

Dec 14, 2017
Model CB1200MI-MBK
Got this from a relative. professionally installed.
Have run it about 6 years.
Two nights ago I smelled something like notebook paper burning. Smoke coming from the basement stairs...ran down to find the pellet stove going like a blast furnace and tons of smoke pouring out of it. Filled the whole house....imagine if i wasn't home.

Pulled the plug and let it die down. Let it cool and dumped the pot. It was nearly full. Waited about 30 min. Started it back up. Both red and green lights on and it just kept dumping pellets till it was blasting again.
First-Ive gone through my manual several times. Have it in a 3 ring binder. It mentions the red and green lights...please clarify their purpose. I have a good idea but...

It seems like something is not stopping the auger-regulating the pellet flow..

And why didn't one of the safety interrupts work?

I need to make sure this thing is safe to use once its working again...

Oh, cleaned a month ago-tee box was full. Pulled chimney tube off-its straight shot up no bends. All clear. Vacuumed out the tee box and cleaned everything. Has been running fine for about 4 weeks.

I checked the tee box after the failure and it was nearly empty...

Where did the smoke come from?Maybe the stove itself was not that hot and you have a flue problem.Just not enough information here.

Take a look at these two diagrams and see if you can figure out when your stove goes wrong.

Attachments

• Peller Stove Cycle.jpeg
    Peller Stove Cycle.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Pellet Stove Cycle 2.jpeg
    Pellet Stove Cycle 2.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 190
Green light means the firepot has reached 200*, and fuel should start feeding according to the heat you have it set at. Red light comes on when firepot reaches 600*. Would be nice to know step by step actions of the stove, from time you turn tstat up calling for heat. If it just feeds initial feed for start up, and then proceeds or something else. kap

I would almost think both your upper and lower temp switch has failed so the Stove has no idea of the temp. Have u tried unplugging them? Or possibility the board has failed

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk