Quadra Fire Castile Wood Pellet Insert Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skives19

Oct 23, 2016
Michigan
We just bought a house with this wood pellet insert. Was wondering exactly how they work? We have run it a few times now. It is connected to a thermostat and when I have the thermostat set to 70 and the room gets to 70 the wood pellet insert keeps running and blowing heat. Shouldn't the stove shut off when it hits the temp I have on the thermostat?

Welcome to the forum. You can go to www.quadrafire.com/Owner-resources/Install-and-Owners-Manuals.aspx to get a copy of the manual. Many pellet stove will burn at a higher intensity to reach the set temperature and then go into a low burn to idle until a higher rate is needed. Some will shut down and restart when needed again. It all depends on the board and programming the company has used for the stove model. Download the manual ... should go through the normal operating sequence.

What cleaning have you done? Do you have a surge protector on it? Smoke and CO detectors in place? Fire extinguisher away from the stove? When working in the cabinet, always unplug the stove so you don't short anything.

A pellet stove does not turn off like a gas fireplace. It has to finish burning the pellets in the burn pot and the blowers will continue to run until the flame has extinguished and the stove has cooled down.

How long did the stove run after the temperature was met? My stove will cycle on and off once the desired room temperature is met. A lot of people install a different thermostat with a differential setting to prevent the stove from cycling on and off so much.

A pellet stove does not turn off like a gas fireplace. It has to finish burning the pellets in the burn pot and the blowers will continue to run until the flame has extinguished and the stove has cooled down.

How long did the stove run after the temperature was met? My stove will cycle on and off once the desired room temperature is met. A lot of people install a different thermostat with a differential setting to prevent the stove from cycling on and off so much.

It was cleaned and inspected over the summer by the previous owners.

It ran until it was out of pellets.

Is the thermostat working properly? You can test for continuity on the thermostat wires to verify that it turns on and off as the temperature changes. You should have continuity when the temperature is below the setpoint and not when it is at or above the setpoint.

How do you turn on the stove currently? Just turn up the temperature on the thermostat or by other means?

Could it be that it is running in a manual mode and ignoring the thermostat?

There is no manual on this stove Lake Girl. It just runs off the thermostat like a furnace. This is one of the older model stoves, unlike the AE and newer ones. kap

Where is thermostat at in room? Is the heat reaching it, or just the room temp gauge? Otherwise I agree with FF that something might be wrong with tstat wires or tstat. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.