Quadra Fire Contour stopped feeding pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilzer007

Nov 26, 2014
New Hampshire
My Quadra Fire Contour stopped feeding pellets after power went out tonight. When power was restored the stove started up and ignited the pellets in the firebox but will not feed any more pellets. I hit the RESET button in the back which usually calls for more pellets to drop. Now, I can't get the stove to feed any pellets. Any suggestions to troubleshoot? Middle of a snow storm here in New Hampshire tonight and hoping there is a OIC Old Indian Trick that might be available to solve this?

First thing to try is to jump the vac switch wires together to see if there is a vacuum issue. Then try and run stove again. Let us know. kap

Find the vacuum switch in your owners manual. There are two wires going to it. You need to pull those two wires off spade connectors and jump them together with a pc. of wire. Be careful you don't electricute yourself, or ground the wires out and toast your control box. kap

Would that be a round disk shaped item with a vacuum hose attached? I see a red and orange wire going into it on spade connectors. Do I want to bypass the vacuum switch and just connect the two wires together? Any ideas of what happned when it was running just fine on high and then power went out and now no feed?

Yes, that is it. Worse case scenario is there was a power surge when power came back on and toasted your control box. You can also unplug stove and make sure control box is seated properly. Then plug stove back in. Auger motor is fed power thru control box, vac swith, snap disc #2 snap disc#3 reset button. #3 shuts whole stove off so this isn't it. Snap disc #2 shuts power to auger if stove overheats. A bad thermocouple can keep auger from working also. kap

Last edited:
Stove is cooled down now. Is there anything I can reset perhaps before I try and start it up again. When it started back up fan cam eon and ignited pellets and pellets burned fine..just NO Auger engagement, even hitting the reset button did not do anything. It has been unplugged for an hour now.

You can see if snap disc #2 has a reset button on it, and push it. If it doesn't, it automatically resets. And as stated above, make sure control box is seated properly before plugging stove back in. kap

Can you tell if auger is coming on at all? Listen or feel just below auger motor, to see if it is running backwards. kap

Hello,

I have a Quad Contour also. I really like this stove! My pellets stopped feeding last year. The old metal vac switch was fine, In my case it was a bad feed motor. A bad capacitor on the feed motor will also stop it from feeding. I decided to install a new feed motor that comes with a new capacitor since the old feed motor was 14 years old. Works good as new now.

May I ask what good uses you found for the warming compartment? I lnow it can hold up to a 10 inch pie!

Attachments

• IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 128
Well some progress. I jumped that connection you mentioned...nothing. Then I found a very small round disk attached to the unit about the size of a dime held by two small Phillips screws. It looked like it had a small red reset button on it. I pushed what looked like a reset button and heard a "click". Plugged in stove and then absolutely nothing. Then I took the small dimed size button out and jumped the two connectors together. Now...the stove powered up and the auger is running and the auger is feeding the fire. Seems to be working again.....Now, what the heck is the dimed sized button that I removed and what is it's function for the stove? It has a LONG part # on it: 36T16-6819-L175F-230-1960-C0208

IT is either snap disc 2 or snap disc 3. You need to explain more and exact position of it. Both are safety features that shut stove down if it gets too hot. If nothing on the stove worked, then it was snap disc #3 as it shuts power off to whole stove. Snap disc #2 just shuts power off to auger motor. You can run without if want(insert disclaimer here as they are safety features), till you can get a new one. Or the connections were just bad. Just make sure nothing grounds out or you will, toast your control box. kap

Last edited:
That is a nice looking stove yet Don222. You take very good care of it. kap

Your manual tells you where the snap discs are located on the stove. kap

Little disk is located on right side of stove when you open the access door. Just in front of Auger Motor housing. Is this called snap disk #2 as everything worked except auger motor. Do you happen to have a picture of snap disk # 2 so I can tell if it is same part? Unable to upload a pic here but can email it form my phone.

That is a nice looking stove yet Don222. You take very good care of it. kap

Thanks
A good clean and paint over the summer perks it up a bit. :)

It should be located on the right side of the appliance next to snap disc #1 which has the purple wires going to it. The #2 snap disc has orange wires. You can google quad parts or find a local dealer. I could sell you one but there is not much price difference in smaller items so I can't save you anything. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.