Quadra-Fire Cumberland In Large Fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paredown

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Lower Hudson New York
Hi, I posted last spring about my very large fireplace, & at the time was leaning towards an insert. Several members responded and suggested setting a stove in the firebox as an alternative. I tried to resuscitate the old thread but had no replies.
[Old thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/32966/P22/]

For cost reasons I'm now thinking stove...

We want a stove as supplemental heat mainly in a “great room” (lr/dr/kitchen/entrance)--close to 1400 sf, high peaked ceiling post and beam with lots of single pane glass 60s contemporary. House is all single floor; great room in the center, kids wing of one end; master bedroom wing off the other.
-Fire place is 63” wide x 30” high by ~24” deep.
-masonry firebox, rough fieldstone facing floor to ceiling with a wide (& long) raised hearth--about 16" deep
-internal single floor chimney (<25 feet as a guess)--sits between the great room area and master bedroom wing.
-the chimney has a single round flue that is about 24” across & the damper ledge may allow the 6” pipe to clear without a problem

I've looked at used stoves--but do not know enough. What I have seen that looks interesting is a couple of new Quadra Fire Cumberlands--one on local CL ($1650 w/o handles), one on eBay (Long Island, so striking distance--$1850) and a couple that Sleepy posted on this forum (western Penn, but do-able). My thinking is I could set it back a little & use the side loading, since I should have room even if it is partially inside the old firebox. Then that solves my 16” issue in front as well…

Will the Cumberland be enough stove?

Looking at their recommended install, they show flexible liner through the damper, and the rigid pipe on the straight sections. Or can you use the flexible all the way to the top?

How would you cap such a large flue, and is it possible to put the stainless cap underneath what's there, which is a large flat slate supported on each corner with rock pillars?

What to installers do to get electricity up to the firebox area? Conduit or?

I'm assuming a block off plate would be necessary since the damper is unbelievably long.

I'd love some thoughts on the install or from people who are using the Cumberland.
Cheers,
Dean

Bump

Any thoughts especially re the Cumberland stove???

Status
Not open for further replies.