Quadra Fire Insert Price and Reliability

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donbrown

Dec 19, 2009
Sierras
I have two properties to heat in California both around 2000 sq feet two stories with brick fireplaces built in the 70's.

One in the city elevation 700 feet and the other at 3000 feet in the mountains.

Stoves are hard to find here in the city and to get one I need to drive 300 plus miles to go to an area where they are common.

Wood pellet bags are common at the hardware stores but no corn pellets.

At the mountain "cabin" there are a few stores and charge full retail and that is how it is ... since I am a not a "local" I get no discount.

So at the cabin it gets below freezing 4 months out the year and the city at least 2 months.

I would like to buy the identical brands and models for each place.

So my question is:

I have been offered two completely refurbished , new wires , new circuit boards, repainteded, all motors cleaned and lubed older model Quadra Fire 1100 for 1000 dollars each with an one year warranty.

They look like Classic Bay 1200 inserts but are the older model. http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Pellet_Burning/Pellet_Inserts.asp

They have auto ignite and external temp control to automatically control the unit. As explained to me they turn themselves on and off to keep the temp constant in the house.

I know I can get them from an homeowner for half that price used but they would not be refurbished to as new condition.

I just picked up a trailblazer for $200 and will work just fine for the garage.

Would you pay $1000 for a Quadra Fire 1100 insert with auto lite and auto temp control refurbished as new for a 2000 sq foot house?

Or should I go with a Austroflamm refurbished all manual lite and manual temp for $800

Or maybe a new Amaizablaze 4100 NESCO Fireplace Inserted Stove all manual for $1500 delivered?

I have a CB1200 I and think that the price I paid (around $3,000) was ok. If I had the chance to by the quad at the price you are looking at for a second home, I would jump at it. Sounds to me like a good deal.

I also have the Quadrafire 1200 Classic Bay Insert. I've never had another pellet stove so I have nothing to compare it to.

With installation it came to about 3300. I'll get $900 back with the tax credit. so it'll come to around $2400.

Getting a Quad for $1000 is a steal. If you aren't familiar with the brand do some research. They are very reputable, and high quality stove.

donbrown said:
Really appreciate your feedback.

I debated going new verses used and I think at 1/3 the price the used makes sense.

Don, who is it that is selling these stoves refurbished and with a 1 yr. warranty? Pellet stove dealer?

I have not met him but it is a general contractor in northrn California. There are quite a few stoves around Lake Tahoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.