Quadra-Fire, Mt. Vernon control box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrkinonfire

Hearth Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
SYRACUSE NY
I have a clear control box with the yellow sticker and selector switch. Can I change the settings on this control box while the stove is running to slow down the feed rate of the pellets? I have a high ash batch of pellets and an over feed situation.

I did some more research and answered my own question. Unplug the stove before changing the selector on the control module.

Update. Stove is running. Hopefully better now.... Time will tell.

Could you please elaborate on what or where you found the information? I just switched from Lignetics to Blazers, and no matter what I do, I can't get the flame height down. In auto mode with the flame height set to -5, the flame still almost reach the top of the chamber.

Gblue, you have the newer ae mt vernon try switching to manual setting wrkinonfire has the older version

fluemasterjr said:
Gblue, you have the newer ae mt vernon try switching to manual setting wrkinonfire has the older version

I have tried every setting in manual mode. Even set to low with the flame height at -5, I get tall flames and black soot.

then you should clean it really well behind the baffle at the bottom of the heat exchanger on the right and left side in through the exhaust and out through the venting

fluemasterjr said:
then you should clean it really well behind the baffle at the bottom of the heat exchanger on the right and left side in through the exhaust and out through the venting

Did that last week when I replaced my cracked baffle. I took out the combustion blower and cleaned the 2 passages from the chamber to the blower. I ran my brush through the exhaust pipe. I have only burned 1 1/2 tons through the stove since I bought it last June. It is thoroughly clean. I remove and clean behind the baffle and vacuum out every Saturday morning.

what type of house is it? how is it vented? what fuel setting do you have it set on? what type of pellets are you burning? we have found out that tall flames and black soot can be sings of a negative pressure in the house? some times a oak will help some times it wont.

My stove has ran longer than 24 hrs straight without over feeding. It's working very well now. I hope it stays like this.

fluemasterjr said:
what type of house is it? how is it vented? what fuel setting do you have it set on? what type of pellets are you burning? we have found out that tall flames and black soot can be sings of a negative pressure in the house? some times a oak will help some times it wont.

It's 10 year old 2000 sq ft colonial. I have an OAK. I don't think it's negative pressure in the house. This past weekend, we had the front door open to the house for a good part of the day and the stove did not behave any difference. Plus, it was fine with the Lignetics and the beginning of this pallet of Blazers. I wonder if it's the pellets.

UPDATE

I still have my overfeed problem. I slowed the feed rate 20% by changing the setting on the control box.This morning I even changed my heat selector from 3 to 2. It ranges from 1,2,3,4=quadrafire. It's been cold in my house. The heat coming from the stove is not hot. I can hold my hand in front of the heat exchange tubes. At least it stays running all day I guess. I just got home from work. My furnace just kicked on and I'm going down to clean it out again. Pennington, Stove Chow, and Currin are my pellets of poison. HELP. If this leeps up I'm gonna break the glass and go back to a wood stove.

i had to call quad to day to refresh my self on the settings on the control board #1 setting is the standard setting #2 is plus 20% and #3 is minus 10%. This is some thing that took me probably 2 years to learn about pellet stoves a stove can not "overfeed" the auger is set on a timer and it will always feed the same amount unless you change the heat output. the "overfeed" is more or less an under burn. The stove is still feeding the same amount of pellets it just is not getting the correct amount of air to burn them. have you removed the baffle and the side plate cleaned the heat exchanger tubes removed the exhaust blower port and completely cleaned the venting? have you done anything to your house that might make it tighter? A higher ash pellet is going to equal less heat. how long does it take to start overfeeding?

fluemasterjr said:
i had to call quad to day to refresh my self on the settings on the control board #1 setting is the standard setting #2 is plus 20% and #3 is minus 10%. This is some thing that took me probably 2 years to learn about pellet stoves a stove can not "overfeed" the auger is set on a timer and it will always feed the same amount unless you change the heat output. the "overfeed" is more or less an under burn. The stove is still feeding the same amount of pellets it just is not getting the correct amount of air to burn them. have you removed the baffle and the side plate cleaned the heat exchanger tubes removed the exhaust blower port and completely cleaned the venting? have you done anything to your house that might make it tighter? A higher ash pellet is going to equal less heat. how long does it take to start overfeeding?

Quad settings are #1 standard, #2 is plus 10%, #3 is -20% from my findings. I've done everything but remove the exaust blower. It's on my list to do this weekend. It takes about 24-36 hours to start overfeeding. I have the control board set at -20%

I mixed a bag of stove crap and penningtons. Went off to work. Was starting to burn lazy from the cleaning the night before. I came home from work... Unburnt pellets all over the inside of the firebox again. Still burning though, Just not so happy I had to shut down. Scrape out all the wasted pellets and dust. Restart. It lasted 5 hrs and I just had to do it again. It 20* outside with high winds. This stove is a PITA!

Good nite. :smirk:

He is talking about the little dial on the control box itself with the 1,2,3, settings. Not the dial on the side of the stove. Sounds like you have a draft issue. Caused by dirty exhaust blower or venting. Could also be the fuel setting in the hopper. Be sure all firepot holes are cleared.

cornstoves said:
He is talking about the little dial on the control box itself with the 1,2,3, settings. Not the dial on the side of the stove. Sounds like you have a draft issue. Caused by dirty exhaust blower or venting. Could also be the fuel setting in the hopper. Be sure all firepot holes are cleared.

My control box goes up to 9 on the dial. IS there any key anywhere that tells what all the numbers/settings are?

Status
Not open for further replies.