Quadra Fire Scraper Tool 414-1140 -- Worth owning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maraakate

Sep 27, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Hey everyone,

I bought my Santa Fe used so it never came with the scraper tool, part number 414-1140. However, I just use a metal chisel that I got at the local hardware store seems OK. I also vacuum out the burn pot once a week to make sure the air passageways are clear. It looks like the main advantage to this tool is due to the fact that it is angled and tapers off that it can fit in those holes to clean out the passageways easier.

The OEM part is like $40, which I think is a bit nuts. Pellethead has an aftermarket one for about $20, which I assume is just as good.

Is it worth getting the tool, and if so is the aftermarket one of decent quality?

Thanks

Handy when you run into one of those times a bag or 2 makes a mess of the pot , but I haven’t used mine but a couple times in 20 years either. But i throw the pot in the bead blaster every spring when i put it up for the season.

I bought my Santa Fe used so it never came with the scraper tool, part number 414-1140. However, I just use a metal chisel that I got at the local hardware store seems OK. I also vacuum out the burn pot once a week to make sure the air passageways are clear. It looks like the main advantage to this tool is due to the fact that it is angled and tapers off that it can fit in those holes to clean out the passageways easier.
Dumb tool. Yeah, it angles and can sort of fit those holes. But It's not at all sharp, and only begins to go in those holes. I've used a chisel, and another hardware-store tool that's just a metal pick with a bend in it, on a screwdriver-type handle, for years. I'm amazed anyone can ask $40, or even $20, for that tool.