Quadra-Fire Voyageur Insert - Too much air intake? How to run? UPDATE VIDEO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sounds like you had a salesperson that doesn't understand basic EPA stove combustion. Unfortunately neither did the person writing the manual which the storeperson is parroting. The ACC gets pushed in once to start the burn. That's it.

I'm not following this question. The burn rate control (which is just an air control) goes up and down, the ACC pushes in to set the timer.

The acc can pull partially out or all the way out then it can move up.

Attachments

• 20190112_200205.jpg
    20190112_200205.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20190112_200156.jpg
    20190112_200156.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Which version of the Voyageur is this? The smaller or larger Grande?

On the smaller Voyageur lifting up on the ACC control and pulling it away interrupts the timer cycle if you want to shut it off. I think the Grande's is a bit more complicated but I would need to look that up.

And I erred on the initial setting of the ACC. To set it the ACC gets pushed in and then pulled out.

I have the smaller voyageur. Pushing the acc all the way in seems to allow more air into the back of the unit.

So if I understand correctly your previous response, I need to get the fire flaming, then back the burn rate down. Do I do this every time I reload? I tried this tonight on a reload, but i have lost heat in the house.

Attachments

• 15473428601747838091265166016538.jpg
    15473428601747838091265166016538.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 15473429095782973807538219821536.jpg
    15473429095782973807538219821536.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 103
I thought the rear air feed was on the Grade Voyageur, but could be wrong. Does it say there is rear air feed in the manual on the smaller Voyageur? On a reload it will depend on the size of the coal bed and draft strength. The manual says to open up the ACC and air control, but opening up the ACC may not be necessary if the coal bed is large and still very hot. Just opening the main air control may be sufficient.

FWIW, I have to confess I am not a fan of the ACC system. The intent is good, but as illustrated it adds an order of complexity that can be quite confusing.

The smaller Voyageur does according to the manuel it states:

The secondary function of the start up air control is operation of the rear air system.

•push the start up air control 3/8 inch back to allow rear air to enter firebox.

It also states for high burn rate for maximum heat:

•Raise the burn rate air control all the way up until it stops
•Push the start up air control all the way back until it stops and leave there.

I did these steps expecting more heat output, but I only got temp of house to 73 degrees. That's why I posted my question. It wasn't heating the house the way I expected according to the manuel insteuctions.

The high burn rate delivers maximum air to the firebox. That definitely will be a high burn rate as you have noticed in wood consumption. But that is not the highest heating rate. Quadrafire has made this whole system a bit over complicated. It really isn't necessary and with so many variables it can get confusing as to what the optimal burn settings should be.

I tried closing off the air to the rear and setting the burn rate control lever to half after adding wood to the fire. I already had a nice coal bed. It didn't do much for the temp in the house. I'll be gone most of the day tomorrow so I will try a fresh fire using the acc and then backing off the burn rate. I just wish it wasn't so difficult to figure out how to burn so my home is warm.

BB37, one option to make the stove easier to learn to run is to not use the ACC at all for a few week. Just use the main burn control and leave the ACC off. To make fire starting easier, leave the door open an inch until the fire gets going well. Then close the door and let the fire build for 5-10 minutes until it is burning pretty well. All the wood does not need to be burning at this point, but try closing down the air until the flames get lazier, but not out. Let the fire recover and regain strength.Once the fire is burning robustly again, close down the air some more until once more the flames start getting lazy. Repeat one more time if possible. (this will depend on the amount of wood, species burned, size of splits, etc.)

Do this for a couple weeks of burning until it becomes routine and predictable. Then introduce the ACC for starting instead of leaving the door ajar at the beginning.

I have a Quarafire Voyager model year 2020. My ACC and Damper don't seem to have any effect on the intensity of the fire. I did pay to have it professionally installed and they are sending someone out to look into the issue. If I have a rolling flame fire going and want to damper it down to make the wood last longer turning the damper down has no effect whatsoever.
I am normally a DIY guy but getting this insert in and out of my fireplace is a PIA. In the current state there is no way I can feel safe loading it up with wood for the night and going to sleep. Can others with this model tell me if this is something I have to learn to deal with due to the multiple air inlet locations or is there most likely a damper stuck open?